1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Boost Leak Tester Equipment

Posted by nodaysoff92, Aug 7, 2014

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. nodaysoff92

nodaysoff92 Proven Member

Joined Jun 15, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hello folks there are millions of post on how to do a blt with a compressor but money is very tight. And I don't have compressor. No buddies near by really. This is my question would a compressed air tank work well enough to do a blt. I have boost up to 25psi so will need to pressure it to about that. Compressed air tank or should I just save for a cheap compressor like a pancake compressor. I know harbor freight probably has something. Let me know what you guys use.

2. Slid3RMonk3y

Slid3RMonk3y Proven Member

Joined Oct 1, 2013
    The Keys, Florida
    I don't know about using the air tank to do a boost leak test, I can imagine that it would work as long as you are careful and regulate it. That said do you have access to a bicycle tire pump because they for sure work. Hopefully someone will weigh in with first hand on the tank if you don't have a pump.

Good Luck

Jermoturbo likes this.
  3. nodaysoff92

Joined Jun 15, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm not cheap just have no use for air compressor beside blt. Which pump do you use and specs because I heard bike pumps dont work. For blt on some cars and such. But why I'm here asking for info. A pump would be best bet if it works. Could run out and get it quick.

4. ErikTande

ErikTande Supporting Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Do your boost leak testing at a gas station pump. :hellyeah:

Or just buy a used 8 gallon compressor on craigslist for $60.

Street Build 879  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  5. nodaysoff92

Joined Jun 15, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    What I read was you can't hear or find the leaks with bike pump but I'm guessing cheap or bad tire pump[DOUBLEPOST=1407451622][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thought about that just will need a bunch of quarters.

6. GSLENK

GSLENK Proven Member

Joined May 25, 2011
    DC, Maryland
    Bike pump could get you in the low psi ranges but you will get tired LOL. IDK if the pancake will keep up. It is annoying when my compressor kicks on once I fill the system up and listen for leaks. I just wait for it to turn off and try again. But I test up to 40psi... so...

4K  6

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. nodaysoff92

Joined Jun 15, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    Ok I see a pancake compressor for 50 on sale harbor freight might grab it.

8. boost97gst

boost97gst Proven Member

Joined Apr 2, 2012
    st jacob, Illinois
    Get a port air tank, fill it up at the gas station. That way you dont have the noise of the compressor running while you're doing the BLT.

nodaysoff92 likes this.
  9. craig4g63

craig4g63 Proven Member

Joined May 19, 2013
    Bellingham, Washington
    The air tank has to be pretty large to mantain required psi given "x" output volume while checking for leaks in "y" amount of time.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 1G DSM
    craig4g63

507  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.636 @ 111.430 · 1G DSM
  10. nodaysoff92

Joined Jun 15, 2014
    Detroit, Michigan
    Ok well if I can get this air compressor I'll be all set thanks guys[DOUBLEPOST=1407463329][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually see an 11gallons air tank for a bit less I dont mind filling it. Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014