The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

boost gauge question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

and1chewy

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2009
Honeybrook, Pennsylvania
my first boost gauge install and was dry fitting it today and had some questions. it is a vac/boost gauge. when i hooked it up as described in the vfaq and started the car the vac read 20 in-hg and i pumped the throttle from under the hood a couple times the vac went to about 10 in-hg but never went to the boost side of the gauge. My question is is this normal when there is no real load on the car? it is a 98 gst spyder with a completely turbo system so im guessing ( again completely a guess) i should see maybe 10 psi max. Will i see a boost reading when i put the car on the road? ive seen i couple posts saying the 20 in-hg is a normal reading was really wondering about the boost. im realistic and am not looking to see boost readings of 15+ psi just looking for a reading in general.

where did you T into? should be into the FPR line, no, you wont see boost until you put a load on it aka driving.

No, typically the car will not build boost in neutral. Nor do you want it to.

thats what i wanted to hear was just curious to see if the gauge was working and everything before i got into making a place to put it (thinking of putting it in my ac vent area above the hvac controls).

i t'd it off the throttle body vaccum line as per the instructions in the tech guide on this site.

If you rev it close to redline in neutral, you might get 5-6 psi. Enough to hear a bov. But not a whole lot. The engine normally wont build much boost without load.

nah not even close to redline just gave it a couple pedal punches. may get to working on the gauge install soon make it a bit of a downtime project. i dont drive the car in the winter/after the top down weather disappears.

-25 should be about maximum vacuum at idle, and stock boost should be anywhere from 10-12psi, in gear.

thanks thats about what i was getting. i havent installed as of yet i think this is going to be a winter project as its a spyder and i generally store it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back