The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

bNasty needs some tuning help :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bNasty

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2009
Chantilly, Virginia
Hello all yet again another newb question from me (bNasty)

I think i finally have everything dialed in correct with speed density. I believe i have a decent cruise tune but im not 100% sure. One of the things i wanted to run by you guys is that im getting terrible gas mileage. Now i realize that i have 272s, FIC 1050s, built motor (2.3 Manley/manley) a 255 and i cant expect much but i can only go like 70 miles on a half tank (mostly city). My wideband is not being logged by the ECU, im at school right now so its hard for me to work on the car. Would this make a difference? I monitor the gauge when im driving and it bounces around 12.5 to 15:1 when driving which seems normal. My o2 sensor is brand new. Filter is in good shape and so are the plugs. My injectors seem to be dialed in correctly. .27 airflowperrev (when lights are on as in attached log they are higher) and my fuel trims seem to be around 0. Do you guys see any problems with my setup?

Attachments

• before highway whitehurst.elg
    468.7 KB · Views: 90
I love how you refer to yourself in the 3rd person LOL

Check your ignition because your getting a random misfire also test your alternator.

No no something is wrong... i had close to almost the same setup and i was getting way more than 70 mpg to a half tank.

Also my tune was waaay off, i could smell gas while leaving a red light. Something is terribly wrong here..

My tune doesnt seem that far off. My afrs seem to read pretty normal a little richer than i want them to. But idk how to bring them up. Yes i can smell gas too. but even in my gst i smelled gas nothing really abnormal

I keep throwing the generator code (1500) for the alternator. Idk about the random misfires. Sorry im a newb where do you see that in the log?

In link go to "ecu config" and click on the tab that say "DTCs" and you will see your 2 codes.

Also after digging in your log some more i noticed you changed a lot in your direct access area now i don't have a "built" engine or turbo for that matter. :sosad:

I wouldn't even touch your settings for minoct in fuel or timing i would leave them stock.

Not sure why you have your load scale adjusted or your openloop thresholds either. LOL

Maybe someone with a lot more tuning experience should be able to jump in soon....

Also it might be a little easier if you logged your WB or at least did a NBsim.

In link go to "ecu config" and click on the tab that say "DTCs" and you will see your 2 codes.

Also after digging in your log some more i noticed you changed a lot in your direct access area now i don't have a "built" engine or turbo for that matter. :sosad:

I wouldn't even touch your settings for minoct in fuel or timing i would leave them stock.

Not sure why you have your load scale adjusted or your openloop thresholds either. LOL

Maybe someone with a lot more tuning experience should be able to jump in soon....

Also it might be a little easier if you logged your WB or at least did a NBsim.

the timing and air fuel sliders were changed via and ECMlink provided table. My openloop thresholds were changed to keep the car in open loop as much as possible in order for the speed density (combined FT) tool to have the most open loop data as possible in order to make changes to the speed density table. since this log they have been changed back to stock form.

Sounds like you just need to work on your VE table. The best way i found was to get the AFR to match the direct access fuel table. So if the table is asking for 14.7 then adjust your VE to match. After it is real close you can adjust the direct access table to lean burn for cruise like 15.5-16.0 AFR and your actual AFR should match up.

This is all dependent on having the proper global and deatime adjusted beforehand. One thing that is hard to understand is the VE table can take a very long time to get correct. And try not to rely on just the CombinedFT adjust tool to get the VE correct you need to dive in there and keep adjusting till it all lines up. I also see a ton of cells that are too far apart from each other that needs to be smoothed out. Also you look to be running way to rich in the higher loads while cruising at some points your hitting 90%+ on the VE map.

What was the problem with the missing tabs in EcmLink?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you just need to work on your VE table. The best way i found was to get the AFR to match the direct access fuel table. So if the table is asking for 14.7 then adjust your VE to match. After it is real close you can adjust the direct access table to lean burn for cruise like 15.5-16.0 AFR and your actual AFR should match up.

This is all dependent on having the proper global and deatime adjusted beforehand. One thing that is hard to understand is the VE table can take a very long time to get correct. And try not to rely on just the CombinedFT adjust tool to get the VE correct you need to dive in there and keep adjusting till it all lines up.

What was the problem with the missing tabs in EcmLink?

i dont quite follow what you are saying on your first paragraph. should i adjust that particular load cell at idle? Those afrs are precisely where i want to cruise at but im lower at about 12.5 for the 1050s my global is 57 and my deadtime is like 810. which has my airflowperrevs at about .27 and my fuel trims around 0. the problem i was having before was my version of link was not updated.

If your trying to keep in in open loop longer just lock it in open loop by going to the "Misc" tab.

No it keeps it in closed loop longer not open loop. I added more to my first post.

You do not adjust the VE to where you want it. You adjust it to where the direct access table wants it. Then you just tell the DA table a leaner value and it should just move you to that AFR. Lean burn is just to get better MPG.

How should i do this? Whats "lean burn"?

No it keeps it in closed loop longer not open loop. I added more to my first post.

im still kind of lost on your first paragraph i understand what you are saying per the VE table.

You have VE cells that are at 62% with a cell next to it at 70%+ that is to large you need to bring up the low cell and lower the high cell to achieve a smoother transition. For a long part of your cruise you were showing 7-15% to much fuel. You want that to be more like 1-3% up or down.

Lean burn is just running a leaner closed loop like 15.5-16 AFR. By doing this you can pick up a little MPG and it hurts nothing.

You have VE cells that are at 62% with a cell next to it at 70%+ that is to large you need to bring up the low cell and lower the high cell to achieve a smoother transition. For a long part of your cruise you were showing 7-15% to much fuel. You want that to be more like 1-3% up or down.

Lean burn is just running a leaner closed loop like 15.5-16 AFR. By doing this you can pick up a little MPG and it hurts nothing.

when my fuel trims are that high could it be because my deadtime is off? or is it because there is too sharp a transition between cells?

Oh i understand what you are saying now with lean burn. Where should i go to adjust that. The load cells in my VE table or the A/F table in direct access?

First and foremost you need to get your AFR to match the DA fuel table. After it matches then you can set the DA fuel table to a leaner cruise. Your VE is the most important thing, smooth it out and get it to match the DA fuel table.

First and foremost you need to get your AFR to match the DA fuel table. After it matches then you can set the DA fuel table to a leaner cruise. Your VE is the most important thing, smooth it out and get it to match the DA fuel table.

Alright so let me run this by you and see if its correct. smooth out VE table first. Then keep using the tool datalog to get the VE table to match the AF in the DA table. then Adjust the DA table to a little bit higher AF. Does that sound about right?

Perfect yes. Also remember to keep the VE table smooth no huge transitions.

Im wondering if i have this correct. I put back in the stock maf (to dial in speed density) and have begun to calibrate the maf. I done two simple short runs so far. Im using the Maf CombineFT tool, but it still seems like im running really rich, and my fuel trims still seem to be off. At idle i think i have it dialed in .27ish airflowperrev and 0% but as soon as i get on the gas it jumps to like 20%. Now should i keep doing more longer runs using the combinedFT tool and see what happens or am i doing something completely incorrect?

(2.3 Stroker, fic 1050s)

Also i have my deadtime at like 910 does that sound correct for these injectors or is that wayyyyy off?

Attachments

• Parking spot.elg
    436.4 KB · Views: 64
Another thing is to confirm that you actually burn HALF YOUR TANK, in actual volume, not what that gauge says. I know mine goes from full to half in like 50 miles. Then from half to quarter in 70 or so more miles. And that last quarter goes for about 120 miles. Then the light comes on. Fill it back up and I only went through 10 Gallons. 24mpg, not bad for 440whp :).

But if its confirmed crap mileage, I would check whats up with the front o2, if your wideband bounces between 12.5 and 15, and your fuel trims are 0%, means your are cruising around 13.7~14.5 ish average. A bit rich for cruising. ECMlink doesnt have a direct way for you to modify cruise, closed loop, AFR target (controlled by Front O2 signal) if the o2 is lying, and putting out a leaner signal than it should, the ecu thinks its lean and ads fuel to get closer to 14.7 target, what the front o2 sensor thinks is 14.7 but wideband says its 13.9. The ECU has a very small view of the actual world, a sensor tells it that the world is a peaceful place and it will go around hugging and kissing everyone in Compton, CA when in actuality, it'd get shot and robbed. I would wire the wideband to the ecu and run it off NarrowO2 simulation and play with the switch over point to be closer to 15:1. And your range that the AFRs swing is a bit large, I would play with the o2 feedback rates in the DA table and lower the value a bit so that the ecu doesn't make so large of a change in fueling to cause afrs to swing that much. My car jumps around 14.9 to 15.2 at a steady cruise.

Also looking you have your MAF comp turned on, and MAf set to stock maf still. You stated you are on speed density.

Here is an attached base map for you,

ECU Config File:
zeroed out maf comp
disabled maf comp under SD
switched the MAF to SD
disabled misfire check
My Base VE table -2 minute tweaked to flow with your original VE

DA file:
O2 Sensor Feedback rate changes
Mild Base Tip In adjustments.

But your lower areas of the VE tables are lower than they should be. I would check Global and deadtime settings. The values spat out of the calculator is a guideline assuming the injector actually flows as much as advertised, no more, no less and fuel pressure is somewhat close to stock.

Attachments

• nastyNate-base map.ecm
    2.8 KB · Views: 75
  • nasty-nate Base DA.eda
    6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno why but referring to yourself in third person makes me want to scream LOL! Yes I know this post added nothing and thats not normally my style but just seeing this thread bumped started to make me twitch hahah.

Ok enough of that rant..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back