1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build Blue Bones

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming

Street Build 296  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. Mech Addict

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Suspected fuel delivery issues. Very hard cold start (almost impossible w/o starting fluid), and one episode of driveability issues. Also seeping fuel tank drain plug. Just drained tank and removed pump. Some rust inside. Plan to check pump and fuel gague sending unit w/ multimeter, and replace fuel filter. Also have replaced spark plugs (didn’t solve starting issue).

Once I get the tank drain plug to stop seeping, I can get it in the garage on stands, and examine the p/s leak (completely empties in 1-2 days).

Street Build 296  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. Talondvr

Talondvr Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2008
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Glad you found one and that you got it home safe. Hope all works out for you. Lots of good info here, just search or ask!
    I would love to find a Galant or maybe a 2g if I could find one for a descent price. I used to have a 90 but don't have many parts left. A throttle body, maybe a exhaust mani and some other small stuff.
    Is your FIAV hooked up, that might cause cold start issues.

847  15

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. Mech Addict

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Good suggestion, haven’t looked into that yet. Would that cause a lean condition on starting? I have both factory manuals and Haynes, so I’l read up on the FIAV operation and troubleshooting.

Right now I have the fuel tank drained and pump assembly removed. Rust and debris are in there, so cleaning all that up, and flushing lines and new filter seem like first step in any case. Actually maybe going to look at a 90 gsx parts car tomorrow. Because hey, why try to fix up one when you can have two non-runner projects. Don’t suppose anyone else can relate.;()

Street Build 296  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
    pat white likes this.
  5. Mech Addict

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Ok, I think this is my first post of actual work going on with my gsx. The fuel pump is removed. The filter sock is a nice rusty brown. It’s had time to dry out, and lovely brown clouds issue forth when I flick it with my finger. The entire hanger assembly has light to moderate surface rust, and all the wires seem very brittle. Not surprised since the live in gas. I checked the fuel level sender per the factory service manual, and the resistance does not change smoothly as the float arm is cycled through its range. This may explain why the gage is not functioning. I am considering purchasing a whole now factory pump unit, which seems to include the pump, harness, sender, low level sensor, gasket, pressure piping. Pricey, around $500 is cheapest I’ve found on line. Anybody got a better idea??
    I also ordered the fuel tank sealant kit from Eastwood, to deal with the root cause: rusty tank interior. Anyone tried this? New tanks list for $750 min. Remember, I’m going stock when possible, no fuel cells or race pumps, and I want the dash gage and low alarm to work. Obviously a filter change is a given.

Attached Files:

Street Build 296  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. Mech Addict

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Well this might explain those driveability issues I experienced! Tank has rust and debris galore. I ordered a do-it-youself tank sealing kit from Eastwood, but have also noticed that the spendy new oem tank comes with the pump, hanger, level sender, all installed as a unit, at least according to the parts catalog. I was already pretty much decided to get the pump unit for about $475 (cheapest I could find), but for $750 I can get the whole new tank with everything in it. Kinda tempting, I guess, in a slippery slope sort of way.

Attached Files:

Street Build 296  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. Mech Addict

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Major victory simply getting the car back in the garage ( come-along). Put the front on stands so I could have a look at the p/s leak, and discovered my car is equipped w/ ventilated CV boots! Sure makes it easy to inspect the joints (which it just so happens don’t look so good). Impressive that I drove it 2,400 mi this way, and only a light shimmy. Got just a few steps in on removing the steering box. Fluid is coming from the drivers side bellows (as in, it will drain all the fluid, not just drips). Must be an O-ring or whatever seals the shaft chewed away. Tune in next week.

Street Build 296  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. Mech Addict

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    Just arrived!!
    Nearly every post I post repeats how I am focused on a stock restoration, but the one “mod” I really wanted is now in my possession. Canada-model belts conversion. I now have the belts, buckles, bolts, and plastic panels that are specific to the Canada models (thank you pleasant Northern neighbors). So sort of a “factory-mod”. My car came to me with mostly missing belts, and one half the p/s front pillar cover anyway, so “new” parts were already needed. Lucked into this find. Can’t wait to swap out the motorized mouse.

Attached Files:

Street Build 296  6

awd · manual · 1G DSM