The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Blown HG... Need opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
1996 Eclipse GSX (Auto)

So, basically long story short, I blew my headgasket the other night. Atleast, I am assuming it's the headgasket, but I haven't had a chance to really take a look at it yet. All I know is that I had a huge oil puddle under my car when I went to go move the car before leaving to work, and it wasn't coming from the oil pan or under the car. I checked my oil level and it was barely on the dipstick. I also have been having issues with the color of my coolant (Brownish color) I did a radiator flush in hopes that it would go away, but it didn't. My oil isn't milky, and doesn't run off the dipstick. I noticed oil all caked a little below the exhaust manifold, and it ran all the way down to the support just below the radiator. I put some RP 10w-20 in the car and drove it back in the driveway, the power steering belt squealed but that was it. I immediately turned the car off when I got into the driveway. It smelt like burned coolant. (I'll post some pictures when I get off of work.)

The P.O. said the engine was rebuilt, and has 40k on it, but had no proof (see additional info) I was thinking I could just replace the headgasket, the timing belt w/ a gates timing belt, and put in new OEM water pump and call it a day. At the same time though rebuilding it seems like a good idea. Now, I am just wondering what would your guys opinions/advice would be? I don't have any set goals per say, but I'd like for it to be a fun DD, that can hang with EVOs, STi's, etc, and possibly have around 300-400awhp.

Its my daily driver, so the faster I fix the situation the better, but with work being only a mile away it wouldn't kill me to walk.

Compression Test (04/24)
Cylinder 4: 191, 178, 183
Cylinder 3: 178, 180, 180
Cylinder 2: 170, 180, 179
Cylinder 1: 169, 175, 181

(Long story: Tuesday night (05/29) I drove it to work [3rd shift 11pm-7am] (1 mile away) and it drove just fine. *I currently have Royal Purple 10w-20 in [just read that 20w-50 would be better]* Anyways, I ran to Arby's for break[06/30 @ 4am](2 miles). While I was waiting, the radiator fan kicked on, but my gauges were normal. So, I didnt think of anything at the time (Digital Glowshift Boost Gauge, Digital Glowshift Oil Pressure Gauge w/ oil filter adapter, and stock gauges) Then on my way back stopped at home (1 mile away) When I turned the car off, it sounded like it was overheating. I could hear some sort of liquid still flowing. I popped the hood and I noticed that the coolant reservoir was empty. I filled it back up, and poured water on the exhaust manifold to help cool it down a bit (highly doubt it made a difference) and drove it back to work (1 mile) [all gauges read normal] I forgot to check under the hood when I got off (06/30 @ 7am) and drove the car back home (1mile) Again, still drove fine and gauges read normal. When I went to go move the car (06/30 @ 5pm), I noticed a pretty nice oil puddle [roughly 1.5ft diameter] That's when I checked the oil level and it was low. I put some RP 10w-20 and moved it into the driveway and left for work)

Additonal Info:
When I bought the car the P.O. said that something along the lines of: "The guy that I bought it off of had it rebuilt due to an accident and he put 20k on it. Then I put 20k on it so It roughly has 40k on the rebuild but I don't have an proof" I basically dismissed that it was rebuilt since he didn't have any receipts. *odometer says 140k* I noticed that it clearly was involved in an accident because the frame where the top of the radiator bolts to isn't quiet straight and the screw holes for the headlights dont line up.

for starters you never pour water on anything under the hood besides the radiator when its that hot. you can crack the block that way so dont do that. something could be cracked or your head gasket is way gone. you need to get someone to look at it for you if you dont know how to rebuild. depending if you have money to throw at it or not just get it back and running properly then you can add power if thats what you want to do.

Any smoke out the tail pipe?

Have you checked the turbo oil feed and return for leaks?

Also check the OFH and oil cooler for leaks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back