The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Bilstein HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pagosa dsm

15+ Year Contributor
May 7, 2005
pagosa springs, Colorado
I have been searching the different Mitsubushi web sights. I came across installing 3000gt Bilstein HD inserts in a Galant strut housing. They also used a rear shock from a mid 80's BMW 325 . I found this at
Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum - E39A 4G63
Belize 1334 used this set up.
I would think this would be a good set up for a 1st gen. I found we could buy these stuts and shocks for about $100.00 each. They installed the front strut inserts like a set of Konis.
Rick

I have been searching the different Mitsubushi web sights. I came across installing 3000gt Bilstein HD inserts in a Galant strut housing. They also used a rear shock from a mid 80's BMW 325 . I found this at
Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum - E39A 4G63
Belize 1334 used this set up.
I would think this would be a good set up for a 1st gen. I found we could buy these stuts and shocks for about $100.00 each. They installed the front strut inserts like a set of Konis.
Rick
Thanks for the info, I for one am always looking for new suspension solutions, especially high quality damper alternatives... :thumb: I tried to follow the link though but it did not work.

What's wrong with using HD's made for a 3kgt vr4? Fronts would be inserts like Koni's but rears would be close to stock I would think.

What's wrong with using HD's made for a 3kgt vr4? Fronts would be inserts like Koni's but rears would be close to stock I would think.

The 3kgt and the 3000gt has the same strut insert. I spoke with Bilstein last monday. I have the measurments of the inserts. The strut insert housing are the same as the Konis. Next I must get the measurment of the Talon Koni rebound and compressed measurments. I know they will fit a Galant. The Galant has a longer strut. If anybody has the measurments of the Koni strut inserts please post them.
Rick

The 3kgt and the 3000gt has the same strut insert. I spoke with Bilstein last monday. I have the measurments of the inserts. The strut insert housing are the same as the Konis. Next I must get the measurment of the Talon Koni rebound and compressed measurments. I know they will fit a Galant. The Galant has a longer strut. If anybody has the measurments of the Koni strut inserts please post them.
Rick

Let me know what becomes of this, if you would. In my opinion, Biltsein makes some of the best shocks in the world, literally racing shocks for the street. The Touring series might be decent for a stock vehicle but I like to take mine to extremes when I drive sometimes....

I should be getting the Bilstein inserts this week. Then I can make the custom strut housing. I think I can mount the housing about 5/8 to 3/4 " lower than the stock mounting to the spindle.
Rick

I got the dom tubing in,
2 foot of 2.125od, 1.885 id
1 foot of 2.5 od 2.125 id
I cut the 2.125 od tubing 296 mm as suggested from Bilstien.
Cut the 2.5od tubing 140 mm
Cut the mounting flanges to the spindel fron 1/4 x 1.5" x 140mm
I had to bore the 2.125 id to fit the 2.125 od. I also chucked all the tubing on the lathe to square all the ends of the tubing. Next I will start welding them together and fitting them to the car. I might have to buy longer springs. I will post photos soon
Rick

Please conduct as complete of a write up as possible on this! Very interested in a solution thats better than my KYB AGX's on my 1g.

Nick has some photos of the strut housings and will try to post tonight. I will try to do a complete write up as I go

Where do you live in Europe? I will be in Chamonix France feb24- march 9th for freerid skiing. I am going to try to make the Geneva car show. Let me know if you are close to Geneva.
Rick

Here are those pictures you wanted, Rick.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to take another look at the strut mounting ears. A mustang roadrace vendor had a serious issue with Bilstein ears bending when mounted as your look to be. Their solution was similar to what Bilstein uses on most struts, a vertical u-shaped channel with doublers that wrap around the sides of the strut.

Is it OK if I post a link to that discussion? If not PM me.

You might want to take another look at the strut mounting ears. A mustang roadrace vendor had a serious issue with Bilstein ears bending when mounted as your look to be. Their solution was similar to what Bilstein uses on most struts, a vertical u-shaped channel with doublers that wrap around the sides of the strut.

Is it OK if I post a link to that discussion? If not PM me.

PLease any information is appreciated. That is why I stared this tread. I think this is a 1st for the 1st gen.
Rick

Coilover strut failure - Corner-Carvers Forums

I would highly recommend reading the entire discussion, as it has great info about strut mounting in general. I referenced this thread to help plan to modification of my evo MR bilstein mounts.

For the quick answer the testing/analysis/redesign is on page 9.

Thanks for the link, I read all 10 pages. If you take notice I have enlarge all the mounts and quality of the tubing. I tried to copy the factory strut as much as posable. You will notice I am using 2.5od 2.125 id tubing x 5.5" to weld the spindle mounts. That is to copy the rap around the strut insert. All the tubing is dom seamless tubing. Looking at my factory struts is it has a brace on top of the mounts to the spindle, I can brace that area also. That is where the mustang stuts failed from your link.
If you have any other suggestion please add
Rick

Rick, are these inserts rebuildable/revalveable?

I almost got the struts finish. The spindle bracket are welded up. I still have to weld a support to the spindle bracket. Had to bore out the Ground Control threads to fit the 2.125 od tubing. Discovered that my Ground Control camber plated don't fit. I am calling Bilstein today for a solution. Last I will be ordering 10"x 375lbs springs.
Rick

Awesome work Rick! Bilsteins is a great company and make a superior product for sure. Would love to see some more pics! And those mounting ears should be just fine: .375" wall tubing plus the .25" ears should easily support the likes of a DSM. I certainly dont think any AGX or GR2 has anywhere close to .25" ears and havent seen too many bent ears on them (even though they have the wrap around style ears). And even if it does bend, just make another set with a few gussets. No biggie. As for the welding of them, I personally would go fo a stitch weld pattern, but thats just me.

Pete

I will post some new photos in the next few days. I think I have all the bugs worked out. I will have to use 10" or 12" springs on them. I am using 7" on my AGX's. I won't have them on the car until I get back from Chamonix France . I will be freeriding back country skiing there.
Rick

awesome! thats sounds incredible. Im actually heading out to Vail in three weeks!

awesome! thats sounds incredible. Im actually heading out to Vail in three weeks!

Pete
YOU might want to check the snow condition in Summit Co.They are not too good. I would go to Breakingridge over Vail. Check out my home town ski area
www,wolfcreekski.com.
I will be back on March 9th.
I have some friends in Summit co. I could set you up with them.
Rick

Rick,
Thank man. I spent two seasons in Vail (05-06, 07-08) and had some awesome times. I cant wait to move back to CO. I'm staying with a couple of old roomates and theyve been saying the same thing for the most part (although they had a pow day yesterday LOL. Honestly, ANYTHING is better than the situation on the east coast right now. Its horrendous. We've had one storm and that was the LAST WEEK IN OCTOBER!!! The mountains werent even open yet! Since then we've had maybe 10" TOTAL! So as you can imagine, Im psyched to just see the snow! I'll be out there from March 6-13. As for Europe, I've heard they are having a season of epic proportions (with cold temps to boot) so you should have an incredible time there! I'd love to see some of those pics as well.

Nick has some photos of the strut housings and will try to post tonight. I will try to do a complete write up as I go

Where do you live in Europe? I will be in Chamonix France feb24- march 9th for freerid skiing. I am going to try to make the Geneva car show. Let me know if you are close to Geneva.
Rick

Im in the SW part of Germany, the town is Baumholder. So France isn't THAT far away. Though I have not been yet LOL. Still need to get those actual passports, the military does it's own thing so there are no problems with traveling inside of the host country but I need normal passports to travel outside of it.

Here are the pictures you wanted posted, Rick.

The pictures don't show it but the top section of threads on the shock were cut off and the remaining shaft rethreaded to make the assembly shorter. It was the best way to get them to work with the camber plates.

Oh, Rick, we also just got a heat treating oven in our materials lab on campus. It might fit the lower housings where the tabs are welded on if you want to heat treat them to relieve stresses from welding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back