The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Billet compressor wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I also just got a 7 blade extended tip 20 g wheel from them.

Me too. Sure is purty. I want to test it with the TD06-8cm² turbine that's in the car right now, but eventually it'll be paired with an 05h turbine in an 8cm² GMC housing. I'm kind of curious if the 06 will be a better match for it (i.e. lots more top end without much difference in spool). I could care less about numbers once they go beyond 400whp, I'm more interested in response.

I really wish we had some turbine maps for MHI turbines.

Installed the 11 blade with the anti-surge housing today! Will test drive tomorrow. Thought I would throw a couple pics up of the KTS 11 blade vs the N9/Snail wheel.

Talk about extended tip! The N9 wheel is not extended at all, my 18g wheel was the same height.

Attachments

• billetwheels.jpg
    billetwheels.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 330
  • billetwheels2.jpg
    billetwheels2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 340
@ZenkaiRacerDsM

According to:

now for some dimensions. like I said these wheels are bigger. stock hub length mhi 16g/20g is 31.5mm. kawasaki ext tip hubs are 35.2mm.

blade height (taller towards nut)
stock MHI 16g/20g is 21mm
kaw 6/6 is 23.2mm
ext tip 6/6 is 29.2mm
ext tip 7/7 is 29.0mm
ext tip 11 is 29.0mm

The extended tip wheels are gonna flow some good air. they do weigh more due to extra blade area. Dont bother mating one of these extended tip wheels to 5h turbine. At least I wouldnt. These should reach 52-54lbs flow .

A stock 20g does have 21mm blades.
The n9 does have 23mm blades, so it is indeed a extended tip.
But nothing brutal.

I bought the wheel to mate with a TD05H housing, extendet tips mor than this 2mm wouldn't be very beneficial.

Just because I did it, here a high resoulution picture of the wheel:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Extended Tip, as Borg Warner defines it.. is where the exducer tips protrude beyond the wheel-back.

That is not an extended tip wheel.
Ok didn't had that definition, so it is just a 20g wheel with larger blades.

Did anyone try to use a billet wheel with a bored out stock compressor housing?
Because of the "TÜV" I have a need to use a stock looking housing.

Ok didn't had that definition, so it is just a 20g wheel with larger blades.

Did anyone try to use a billet wheel with a bored out stock compressor housing?
Because of the "TÜV" I have a need to use a stock looking housing.

The smaller TD05 compressor housing will cost a little bit in maximum flow, but will be more efficient at high pressure ratios, and will feel as if it spools quicker. Surge line doesn't appear to move much, if at all.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• CompressorhousingTD05vsTD06_zps50221614.png
    CompressorhousingTD05vsTD06_zps50221614.png
    19 KB · Views: 53
Just a heads up, the KTS wheels may not fit some turbine shafts.

The taller wheel does not leave enough threads on some shafts for a nut. I have a TD05h shaft from a 14b (right hand thread, 12mm turbine nut) that does not have enough thread for a KTS wheel, but the TD05h shaft TurboLab sent me (left-hand thread) does have plenty. I don't know if the shaft that TurboLab sent was a Kamak or an MHI, though their info page here says they use genuine MHI parts. I'll try to confirm with them.

I'm reasonably sure the KTS wheel will fit on the TD06 that I have, but I'll post more when I pull the turbo out.

I put my 11 blade on my FP18g. There was enough room on the shaft for the entire nut to thread. The end of the shaft is almost flush with the top of the nut though.

The TD06 had enough meat for the taller wheel. Must just be a few weird old TD05h shafts that are a bit shorter.

The smaller TD05 compressor housing will cost a little bit in maximum flow, but will be more efficient at high pressure ratios, and will feel as if it spools quicker. Surge line doesn't appear to move much, if at all.

Thank you very much for this graph, never saw a TD06 vs. TD05 graph before.
I'm really excited how this wheel will perform.
But will wait until next year, fixing one problem at the time, I glad if my car is running again (blew the diff at the autobahn).
Than I'll retune the car on the 16G Evo3 to see how much power this thing is really handling and after that it is time for the 20G.
My hope are that the billet wheel will hold some more boost in the high rpm range, because the 16g is losing power over 7k.

I hate you... I was in Germany a little over 2 years but couldn't take the DSM with me.. instead I have to take my wifes 04 Focuse SE 4 door, automatic 2.0L slooooooow econo box. You should make some vids or something.

I hate you... I was in Germany a little over 2 years but couldn't take the DSM with me.. instead I have to take my wifes 04 Focuse SE 4 door, automatic 2.0L slooooooow econo box. You should make some vids or something.
No need to take DSM with you, just get an GS and slap a turbo on it... if you are fancy also get new pistons, injectors, resistorpack and flywheel/clutch.
The Ecus just need a new eprom. EU spec DSMs do have a knocksensor even if they are just a GS model.
So my car is just a pimped GS.

I planing on doing some videos.
My main problem are parts that break ;) ... at first 5th gear broke... than WGA broke (stuck half way), so car was only putting 280wph to the ground. Than hat trouble with to wide tires (scary if tires are scrapping on the fender while driving 170mph) after that I blew the diff ...
I do have a few videos but only slow 1/4mile runs and nothing special yet
( Uploaded videos - YouTube )

Back to the compressor wheel: I really hope that surge will be no problem.
does anybody have flow data with a snail wheel? Or even from one of the extendet tip wheels. All I can find are stock TD06 diagrams... so even a TD05H diagram for 20g would be a nice thing to see.

No need to take DSM with you, just get an GS and slap a turbo on it... if you are fancy also get new pistons, injectors, resistorpack and flywheel/clutch.
The Ecus just need a new eprom. EU spec DSMs do have a knocksensor even if they are just a GS model.
So my car is just a pimped GS.

I planing on doing some videos.
My main problem are parts that break ;) ... at first 5th gear broke... than WGA broke (stuck half way), so car was only putting 280wph to the ground. Than hat trouble with to wide tires (scary if tires are scrapping on the fender while driving 170mph) after that I blew the diff ...
I do have a few videos but only slow 1/4mile runs and nothing special yet
( Uploaded videos - YouTube )

does anybody have flow data with a snail wheel? Or even from one of the extendet tip wheels. All I can find are stock TD06 diagrams... so even a TD05H diagram for 20g would be a nice thing to see.

Where all the AWDs at then?

AWDs are very rare, they were only sold in south-germany and austria. They are hard to find and hard to search because mitusbishi named them: GS .... so most people don't know that they are something special.

It won't be.

I got to drive my car with the new turbo yesterday. It's a KTS 7 blade with a TD05h-8cm² hotside. Ran it up to 20psi consistently so far and not a hint of surge. It's making roughly the same power at each boost level as the 20g did with a TD06 turbine in the same 8cm² housing (ran it at 12psi, 15psi, 18psi and 20psi), which means it's wastegating a lot of exhaust due to increased efficiency. This was pretty obvious by the increased noise (I'm externally gated, dumped to atmosphere).

I really feel that the TD06 will be a better match for this wheel though. It should make more power without much spool penalty over the 05h.

I had a few spikes to 30psi (@3500rpm) while I was fiddling with the boost control and there was no indication of surge, and I'm running the wheel in a TD05 subaru style compressor housing. This is on a 3SGTE with stock cams (read: more flow restriction than any 4G63 motor will have).

I have my concerns about whether the 11 blade will surge, but I know that the 7 blade won't.

Edit: I'm also at 5300ft elevation, so my pressure ratios are higher than someone at sea level's. My 20psi is equivalent pressure ratio to 24psi at sea level.

I'm running my 11 blade at 26 psi right now. I've never experienced surge before so I don't think I know what it feels like. But at 26psi it runs nice and smooth. I am running an anti surge (holset style) housing and this wheel is paired with a td05h turbine in a 7cm housing.

I'm running my 11 blade at 26 psi right now. I've never experienced surge before so I don't think I know what it feels like. But at 26psi it runs nice and smooth. I am running an anti surge (holset style) housing and this wheel is paired with a td05h turbine in a 7cm housing.

You'll see surge on the boost gauge, and usually you'll hear it. The needle will flutter and it'll make a ch-ch-ch sound at full throttle. You're not likely to surge with an A/S housing.

So how does the 11 blade spool? I've yet to see anyone actually running it. When are you hitting full boost?

Polar, You have the 18g size billet wheel on?

I have to believe if these wheels flow the air we hope, they will require more than the o5h to reach there full potential

When i went from a 05h to a 06 on my 18g, it was a win win with no down side. Picked up 50 hp.

You'll see surge on the boost gauge, and usually you'll hear it. The needle will flutter and it'll make a ch-ch-ch sound at full throttle. You're not likely to surge with an A/S housing.

So how does the 11 blade spool? I've yet to see anyone actually running it. When are you hitting full boost?

I've just driven it a few times since I installed it. My turbo was an regular 18g before so there is a noticable spool difference. Still spools great to me though. When the weather is good and the streets are dry I'll try and get a log.

Polar, You have the 18g size billet wheel on?

I have to believe if these wheels flow the air we hope, they will require more than the o5h to reach there full potential

When i went from a 05h to a 06 on my 18g, it was a win win with no down side. Picked up 50 hp.

No, I had a TD06-18g and a 20g before. Now I have the 20g 7 blade ET wheel and a TD05h-8cm².

I agree that a larger turbine is a better match, but I was looking for response more than max HP. So far it has all the power of a TD06-18g with much better response. I didn't know they had 18g sized wheels at the time. I had considered their 16g wheel, but so far I'm really happy with what I've got.

Depends on the housing too. The older big16g housings can be machined for larger wheels, but the evo3 housings are thinner and may not have enough material for a TD06 wheel. TurboLab says they've successfully machined an E3 housing for a TD06SL2 wheel, which has about 1.3mm smaller exducer than a TD06, so it might be possible.

They also told me that you can run an SL2 wheel in a TD06 housing without any mods, since the exducers are "close enough." I won't believe that until I've seen someone do it successfully though. I wish it were true, since I wouldn't need to buy a new housing to try an SL2 wheel. I do think the SL2 wheel would be a good match though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back