The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Best wheel/tire size and setup 1G DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxthepersonz

Supporting VIP
Feb 3, 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
I'm curious what the best size wheels and tires I should get for my 1G DSM. The car is lowered a little bit. I want to get some Enkei rpf1 wheels but I'm wondering do I get 16s or 17s? What width and everything. Also which tire size will look and preform the best with these wheels?

I'm getting ready to take the leap for rpf1s as well. After many hours of research, I believe the best combo to fit in a 1g without rubbing and rolling fenders, is 17x8 in 45mm offset, and a 235/45/17 tire. If you go with the 35mm offset it looks like you will have to roll the fenders since the tires will stick out.

I'm running 17 x 8 +48s with no spacers and 245/40s. Barely clear the front struts and had to grind down the rear trailing arms a bit. +42-45 is about ideal on an 8" wheel with 235/45 or 245/40s. Next step up would be 8.5-9" wheels with 255/50s but you'd need coilovers to clear. Also, the "nice" RPF1s are the 9", the narrower ones have curved spokes and look completely different.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I dislike the look of the rpf1s unless they're 17x9. 1g's can fit a 17x9 with +40 offset, but you need coilovers (or trim off the strut perch) and slight trimming of the rear trailing arm. Plus a 255/40 tire.

Here we are a year later and I have some more questions LOL. About to pull the trigger on a new wheel and tire setup this month. I now have D2 coilovers as well.

The 17x9 +40 RPF1s will fit without rolling fenders? I really like them, but I totally refuse to roll my fenders and don't want clearance issues like that.

I have also been really considering the Motegi Traklite wheels which are unfortunately only available in 17x7 +45 or 17x8 +40... Which of these two would be my best option?

I know I'm way over thinking things here but I don't want anything rubbing on the body.

I should also mention this car isn't going to be driven often at all, occasional meet, strip a few times each summer, etc.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back