The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

BC 272 0101 Cams vs. Comp 272 101200 Cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xit40

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
Weedsport, New_York
Ok the title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for cams for my motor and wanted to hear from people that either have the Brian Crower 272 degree cams or the Comp Cams 272 degree cams. Those are my final two choices. I am going to buy either one of those. From what I have been able to find searching around they both say they work well with the stock springs and retainers and are degreed correctly right out of the box. Although I assume after market springs and retainers would help. What I would really like to see if possible is dyno comparisons between the two kinda like Slowboy did with the turbos in the tech section. Also on VIP Garage's website it says 97-99 7 Bolt motor need a CAS modification for the Brian Crower cams. This is to drill and tap the cam for the 97-99 CAS correct? Is there an extra cost involved for the modifaction? I do have a 7 Bolt head on my car, but I am running with a 91 CAS as of right now. As I understand it the modification is only needed if your running the 97-99 CAS because it bolts into the cam. Since I am using the 91 CAS this is not necessary correct? Any and all information would be appreciated specificly hard evidence such as dyno charts, airflow gains over stock, etc. Thanx a lot.

What I was told is they are all running the 97-99 modification....right from the factory...

The BC cams are already drilled and tapped ready to go. That won't be an issue at all. The BC cams make great power and idle very pretty good also. I don't have a whole lot of comparison info to offer though as I have never ran the comps myself

I have ran the comp cams 101200's. They are a great cam and make awsome power. They idle like factory at 750rpm. Like you said they work with stock springs and retainters (as long as they are in good condition).

I sold them because they idled like factory. Call me stupid, but I like the loppy cam sound. So I stepped up and ordered the BC 280 cams and springs.

Thanx for the information guys. I figured even if the 97-99 CAS needed some modification I wouldn't need it due to me running a 91 CAS. I ordered my set today even though I really don't have the money, but I figured I should get ahold of a set before they sell out again and the price goes way up. Thank god for new credit cards with 0% APR until the end of the year:) Maybe I'll even write up a review when I get them.

I have ran the comp cams 101200's. They are a great cam and make awsome power. They idle like factory at 750rpm. Like you said they work with stock springs and retainters (as long as they are in good condition).

I sold them because they idled like factory. Call me stupid, but I like the loppy cam sound. So I stepped up and ordered the BC 280 cams and springs.

I'm in the same boat now do I sell my FP2's I just got from someone new for a great price(350) and sell them for BC272 or just say screw it and keep the FP2's? I'm so :confused: :cry:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back