The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

balance shaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivinLow

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2004
Brantford, ON_Canada
i'm always hearing stuff about removing the balance shaft? wot is it,were is it and wot harm can come of removing it

LivinLow said:
i'm always hearing stuff about removing the balance shaft? wot is it,were is it and wot harm can come of removing it

the balance shafts(there are two) are for lack of better terms to stubs that rotate at the speed of the engine. The are attached to the crank pulley with their own belt and reduce the vibrations caused by the design of the engine. They are located right above the crank on the driver side of the car, and as for removing there is two possible outcomes.

remove the proper way: more oil pressure to rest of engine, slghtly more vibrations felt in cockpit of car(can hardly notice, in my experience with it), less chance of the balance shaft belt breaking and then breaking your timming belt which =bad(what happed to me)

remove by cutting the belt(wrong way): possible engine failure.

At least one balance shaft spins twice the speed of the engine, they are counter weighted shafts that off set the inertia of the crankshaft. Benefits are, you dont have to worry about the balance shaft belt breaking and causing damage to the timing belt, and if allows the engine to rev quicker due to less weight having to be rotated and you pick up some extra horsepower too.

rite on thanx guys,i think i'll pull these off tomorow.Peace!

LivinLow said:
rite on thanx guys,i think i'll pull these off tomorow.Peace!

You realize that you need an elimination kit to do this, right? You can't just pull them out and run the car.

half-cocked said:
At least one balance shaft spins twice the speed of the engine, they are counter weighted shafts that off set the inertia of the crankshaft. Benefits are, you dont have to worry about the balance shaft belt breaking and causing damage to the timing belt, and if allows the engine to rev quicker due to less weight having to be rotated and you pick up some extra horsepower too.

Actually, both balance shafts run double the speed of your engine rpm. ie: So, if your tach is reading 4000rpm's your balance shafts are rotating @ 8000rpm, 6000rpm then 12000rpm...etc.

huafist said:
Won't matter, the block is the same :thumb:

Would depend on if he has a 1g or a 2g, and he hasnt updated his profile with that info :thumbdown

dsmayhem said:
Would depend on if he has a 1g or a 2g, and he hasnt updated his profile with that info :thumbdown

Good point. Would be kinda interesting watching someone try to remove balance shafts from a 420a, wouldn't it?

Would depend on if he has a 1g or a 2g, and he hasnt updated his profile with that info

haha yeah might help,i've got a 93 talon n/t,havn't got around to updating my profile or adding pic's,i'll get to that when i'm done typing this,as for pic's you won't see any till spring,i've been out doing alot of work on my car since i bought it(stock)and don't wanna show ppl my progress till i've got alot of stuff done and cleaned up,so be patient,it'll be worth the wait.Peace!

If it's a 2nd gen N/A it's not too bad. drop the oil pan, cut the chain that runs it all and pull it out, I'm not sure on the procedure for actually removing the shafts, but a windage tray is required to keep the oil from sloshing around. If I remember correctly it also increases oil capacity a bit, but don't quote me on that one. I'll see if I can get a link to something on the neons.org or stratusphere.us boards. I remember reading an article about removing the 420a balance shafts at one time.

EDIT: 420a doesn't have balance shafts apparently, I read the article about the 2.4 which is the same block and head

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back