The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Balance shaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-tsi

Probationary Member
Nov 15, 2004
Orem, Utah
I was wondering how hard it is to install the balance shaft eliminator kit, i have the timing and all belts off and oil pan droped. I heard it gives you a little power also true or not true.
-1993 Talon Tsi-

^ check that out. Maybe a little more power but mostly better oil pressure/ no chance of bs belt breaking.

After doing it myself with the engine out of the car I could nto imagine doing it in the car. The bearing in the middle of the block that you have to removed and put the block off bearing into is a bi*** to do while out of the car. I can't even imagine doing it while in the car.

With the motor in the car, and with the crankshaft still installed, it will be difficult or impossible to install the blockoff bearing (like the previous poster mentioned). It was not easy to install with the motor upside down on the engine stand, I can't imagine trying to do it lying upside down under the car. :D

Damn, I hafta do a BS Elim. this summer, and I wasn't planning on pulling the engine :thumbdown

i've done it with the engine in the car and it is a PITA. however, make a special tool for inserting the bearing in the rear hole for the front b.s. and it becoms alot easier.

what you do is, take your b.s. with the 2 smaller bands for teh bearing at one end (i believe this is the one that comes off the oil pump gear) and grind the farthest band down just enough so that the new bearing just fits over it. now it's locked in place by the second band and you now have a way to insert the bearing all the way down in the hole. then just use a hammer and tap it down until the bearing is seated. just make sure the oil hole is blocked off.
get it? if not, ask me and i'll tyry to explain it further. :thumb:

terminaltsi said:
i've done it with the engine in the car and it is a PITA. however, make a special tool for inserting the bearing in the rear hole for the front b.s. and it becoms alot easier.

what you do is, take your b.s. with the 2 smaller bands for teh bearing at one end (i believe this is the one that comes off the oil pump gear) and grind the farthest band down just enough so that the new bearing just fits over it. now it's locked in place by the second band and you now have a way to insert the bearing all the way down in the hole. then just use a hammer and tap it down until the bearing is seated. just make sure the oil hole is blocked off.
get it? if not, ask me and i'll tyry to explain it further. :thumb:

Or you could just get a bearing and race install tool for like 50 bucks. If you are lucky enough and live near an AutoZone they rent then for a $50 deposit for 5 days. Return it and you get your money back.

Later

Batty200 said:
Or you could just get a bearing and race install tool for like 50 bucks. If you are lucky enough and live near an AutoZone they rent then for a $50 deposit for 5 days. Return it and you get your money back.

Later

or you could do that then! :thumb:

I don't know if you guys are talking about doing this with the engine in the car but I used a b.s. to put my block off bearings in while the engine was out of course.

Definately pull engine for balance shaft elimination to do it PROPERLY. I used the end of an 8"adjustable wrench against the bearing, and then I used a 1/2" drive breaker bar extension inserted in through the front hole. I just kept beating on it until it went in. Once it did finally go, it went in pretty easy. No special tools required, just some quick outside-the-box thinking :D That IS with the crank in also. :thumb: :talon:

it can be done with the motor still in in under 3 or 4 hours. Its not that hard, dont pull your engine. I used a 32mm socket and trimmed it down with a bench grinder and it pressed them in just fine.

The half-assed way to remove balance shafts while in the car : Leave front shaft in place and secure to block oiling hole. Then install the stub shaft in the rear.

I'm really scared using the generic stub shaft w/o oiling groove. Has anyone else had a problem with the generic pos? I'm considering ripping mine apart just to put the mitsu shaft with the oiling groove in.

I dont think its a generic stub shaft, i believe its a mitsubishi oem part from a Mirage.

Just remove the bshafts. Its not that hard. Once you get into it, you'll see that its not all that difficult. Its just a pita because you have to remove everything and make a huge mess, but take ur time and you'll be fine.

there is a generic stub shaft WITH OUT oiling groove and there is the mirage oem shaft with oiling groove. I'm sure you can search and find that out. Some people have had problems with "generic" shaft at high rpm causing the oil pump to fail. Thats why i'm undecided about ripping my front case off to replace it with the OEM.

eh, you'll be fine, just do the bshaft removal. People probably blew their oil pump and blamed it on the bshaft removal because they didn't put a new case on when they did the job.

bshaft removal has already been done.....thats why i have the generic stub shaft in place.
Only time will tell as i do have a new front case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back