The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

bad engine knock/clatter please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothyj94

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2011
Glen ellyn, Illinois
‪Dsm knock‬‏ - YouTube

My engine started making a small clattering noise, then this happened. Looking for an oppinion on the problem. I replaced all the rod bearings, and it went back to a small clatter after like 3000-4000 rpms. I have been driving like a 100 year old grandma keeping it below 3000 rpms because I have no other car. If nobody knows what I mean by the clattering noise on acceleration I will try to upload a video.

This might have happened because of low oil but not sure :ohdamn:

Do you have enough oil in the car, sounds like your lifters tapping, or stuck valves, I would switch to the 2.4l pt cruiser lifters regardless. Swap those and see if that helps if not its stuck valves.

if possible record a longer video next time, not really long enough to get a good idea whats going on.

Do you have enough oil in the car, sounds like your lifters tapping, or stuck valves, I would switch to the 2.4l pt cruiser lifters regardless. Swap those and see if that helps if not its stuck valves.

if possible record a longer video next time, not really long enough to get a good idea whats going on.

the video was just the noise it was making BEFORE I replaced the bearings, what was left of the one bearing was shreds and dust... and i have a feeling its going to happen again because after ive replaced the bearings its making the same slight clattering noise on acceleration (not whats in the video)

im confused how the lifters would do this WTF

When the engine is running the oil system pressurizes the lifter and it pushes out against the cam follwers. Oil resists compression so it acts like a really strong spring.
The cam followers ride directly on the cam lobes separated from destruction by an oil film. As the cam rolls over,it pushes down on the follower and that pushes down on the valve.
The cam rides in the center with the lifter on one side and the valve on the other.

it could be the lifters are stuck and they are causing the valves to stay open and hit the piston or keeping the valves closed and the cam is hitting the valves

you can use a stethoscope to see exactly where the noise is coming from-
place end on valve cover
then on the head
then on the lower part of the block or oil pan
the loudest noise is where the issue is

the video was just the noise it was making BEFORE I replaced the bearings, what was left of the one bearing was shreds and dust... and i have a feeling its going to happen again
Yes it is going to happen again. You took a shot at replacing the rod bearings. The crank journal was too far gone, so the clearance is too large. You will need to fix the crank to fix the problem (ie turn it and put in oversize bearings. Or replace the crank).

At this point you are better off with a new rebuild or a replacement engine (good used).

MB

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back