The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

B16g Leaking Oil into exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1995-tsi-awd

Proven Member
Jul 17, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I bought a b16g turbo j-pipe, fmic, from this guy for $100. So I won't be disappointed if the turbo is completely shot. I poured some oil into the drain hole and let the turbo sit for 15 minutes or so and when I went back to grab it and test shaft play I noticed oil slowly leaking into the exhaust side of the turbo.

Bad seal? can it be rebuilt?

The turbo had an extremely small amount of axial play and little radial play. The fins did not touch the sides. It spins freely. Will a rebuild kit help this out?

Thanks!

The turbo was not on it's side when I had it stored, but can't speak for the guy before me....

Where do you guys recommend I pick up a rebuild kit?

Last edited:
So did you let it sit how it would be installed on the car, or sit it on the outlet side of the turbo? If you sat it on the outlet side of the turbo (compressor cover up), it will leak. If it was laid on its side how it would be as if installed on the car, then I would get it rebuilt.

Tradergreg is a pretty descent kit.

how much boost fluid did you put in?

2 gallons .... high performance boost fluid.

So did you let it sit how it would be installed on the car, or sit it on the outlet side of the turbo? If you sat it on the outlet side of the turbo (compressor cover up), it will leak. If it was laid on its side how it would be as if installed on the car, then I would get it rebuilt.

Tradergreg is a pretty descent kit.

I never put it on it's end when I put oil in it. I laid it down how it would go in the car or upside down to flow oil from drain port to oil in port.

Guess I need to rebuild.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back