The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil leaking into Exhaust manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy91GSX

15+ Year Contributor
May 31, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
Hey guys. I have a problem with oil leaking into my exhaust manifold and turbo. The car was smoking pretty badly, so I checked it out, and found oil build up in the turbo inlet and ic pipes. So, I replaced the turbo. Then the smoking continued. But got worse. So, I pulled the head off and investigated. All i found was two loose cam hold down bolts on the intake side. Some oil build up between the intake manifold and the gasket, and the number 3 cylinder exhaust manifold runner had oil in it, but no other cylinders did (the oil was mostly in the top collector area, and about half was through the runner. Also, the valve stems on the #3 cylinder were black when the rest were white.

does this sound like a problem in the head? valve stem seals maybe??

Stem seals are the only path between the valve train's oil supply and the cyilinder below. If you've got the time, money and inclination, this could be a good time to remove the head and put it through a full valve job. To save time and money however, with some diligent handy-work, you may be able to replace the stem seals for just #3 with the head still on the car. The trick would be to have the #3 cylinder topped out to catch the valve and prevent it from dropping all the way. The best option would be to just pull the head though for completeness and reliability.

- SK

check this
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164239
post 5 & 6 will direct you to the miller tool that will allow you to change valve stem seals without removing the head. however, as stated if you need stem seals on one you should replace all, and it would be better to remove the head and freshen it up for piece of mind. also there is a vfaq on how to make the tool instead of buying one out there somewhere.

jim

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back