The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

b.o.v

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnypimp

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2003
Miami, Florida
this my first 1g b.o.v and when i hit 17 psi and above my car gets fuelcut. a friend of said i had a boost leak around the flange that bought from dejon, so he apoxy the hell of of the flange. still has the problem, my question is if the b.o.v has problems holding the boost will it cause fuelcut. i had a greddy type-s on my 98 gst and was pushing 21 psi with a big16g and never had that problem. you guys are pretty helpful and seem to know your stuff, so any help would be appricated. :talon:

skinnypimp said:
this my first 1g b.o.v and when i hit 17 psi and above my car gets fuelcut. a friend of said i had a boost leak around the flange that bought from dejon, so he apoxy the hell of of the flange. still has the problem, my question is if the b.o.v has problems holding the boost will it cause fuelcut. i had a greddy type-s on my 98 gst and was pushing 21 psi with a big16g and never had that problem. you guys are pretty helpful and seem to know your stuff, so any help would be appricated. :talon:

Fuel cut is caused by airflow. In the winter, air density is higher. Google search: Relative Air Density for some help here.
Tell your buddy that Epoxy is not a good substitute for Silicone.

The 1G BOV will be forced open at that amount of boost. www.dejontool.com sells a BOV leak seal kit for $49. It is under the general items/BOV's near the bottom of the page. Mark

sweet97 said:
The 1G BOV will be forced open at that amount of boost. www.dejontool.com sells a BOV leak seal kit for $49. It is under the general items/BOV's near the bottom of the page. Mark

so that could be problem???? like i said this is my first 1g bov and this didn't start until i installed it. well i have a friend who's selling a greddy type-s, if the bov is the problem i'll buy the one he has. :talon:

Yeah. Check out what dejon says about the 1g which is a very good BOV. he tells what psi it willopen under. Then you run RICH because the fuel is dictated by the mas and the bov loses the air you need for the fuel! mark

Fuel cut is airflow related. If you weren't hiding airflow from the ecu on your last 16g setup you weren't flowing enough air to hit it. It had nothing to do with your bov.

If you have any boost leaks at all it will elevate your airflow readings and bring on fuel cut earlier. That includes a leak at the bov flange. Pressurize your intake and fix any leaks. Also without something to disable fuel cut (dsmchips, dsmlink, etc) or hide airflow in conjunction with larger injectors (afc) you will hit fuel cut when you flow enough air aka turn up the boost.

If you fix all leaks and can't afford and afc and larger injector setup you are going to have to turn down the boost.

1G bovs uncrushed will usually hold 20 psi. They *may start to leak earlier or later though. Crushing it correctly will delay the point at which it starts to leak.

Fuel cut is two words. ;) :p

PaleDSM said:
Fuel cut is airflow related. If you weren't hiding airflow from the ecu on your last 16g setup you weren't flowing enough air to hit it. It had nothing to do with your bov.

If you have any boost leaks at all it will elevate your airflow readings and bring on fuel cut earlier. That includes a leak at the bov flange. Pressurize your intake and fix any leaks. Also without something to disable fuel cut (dsmchips, dsmlink, etc) or hide airflow in conjunction with larger injectors (afc) you will hit fuel cut when you flow enough air aka turn up the boost.

If you fix all leaks and can't afford and afc and larger injector setup you are going to have to turn down the boost.

1G bovs uncrushed will usually hold 20 psi. They *may start to leak earlier or later though. Crushing it correctly will delay the point at which it starts to leak.
thanks

Fuel cut is two words. ;) :p
:laugh:

gsx951 said:
Fuel cut is caused by airflow. In the winter, air density is higher. Google search: Relative Air Density for some help here.
Tell your buddy that Epoxy is not a good substitute for Silicone.

I am his buddy and I tried 2 different kinds of silicone,rtv and copper sealent, the bov flange and jpipe flange are from dejon tool and they are warped to hell and back. Thats why I did the epoxy. It helps a lil bit but still leaks out the ass. I took the car to my shop and boost leak tested it, it wont even hold 10 psi.

sweet97 said:

I have that mod and reccomended that to him also.

Bastard1g said:
I am his buddy and I tried 2 different kinds of silicone,rtv and copper sealent, the bov flange and jpipe flange are from dejon tool and they are warped to hell and back. Thats why I did the epoxy. It helps a lil bit but still leaks out the ass. I took the car to my shop and boost leak tested it, it wont even hold 10 psi.

Send the parts back to DeJon if the sealing surface is not flat. They have always been decent people, an exchange shouldn't be an issue.

Bastard1g said:
I have that mod and reccomended that to him also.

I plan on gettig that mod buit have not yet. I have some leak at idle. Does that mod help that or just raise the boost the BOV can handle? In my opinion the 1G is a geat BOV and with that mod equals most aftermarket BOV's minus the "bling" factor! mark

The true advantage of that seal kit for the 1g bov is being able to hold high boost without creating compressor surge since the spring isnt any tighter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back