The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G AWD Tranny/FWD Tranny question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93ESTalon

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2003
Wytheville, Virginia
Ok before i start I'll give you guys a rundown on my car. It's a 93 ES and had the 7 bolt with 5 spd tranny. I did the turbo conversion on it and used a 6 bolt Turbo motor out of a 91 TSI AWD that was just not worth salvaging(lots of body damage). I know I can't use the AWD tranny on it since it's still a FWD car. My question is: Is there anyway that the the AWD bell housing can be put on my FWD tranny and work correctly or can modify the AWD tranny to work as FWD tranny without screwing up the vicious coupling? Or would i be better off just buying a used FWD turbo tranny? I'm kinda stuck here and could use some help. Any help you guys can give me would be great. Thanks.

:talon: Tyler

Bell housing won't work.

To use the AWD tranny you have to weld the center diff and the VC or buy a solid CD and VC.

Just find a used 2.0 fwd tranny, either turbo or n/a will work.

Thanks for the reply man.
ryanman said:
either turbo or n/a will work.

It won't work, trust me. The clearance in the N/A bell housing is not enough to keep the pressure plate from rubbing the inside (at least not with the turbo flywheel and clutch). I wish it would work tho because i have a N/A FWD tranny. Either way, thanks for the reply. :thumb:

Umm, I used a n/a tranny in my car for a couple weeks while my turbo tranny was being built and it worked just fine.

4Bangin said:
Do you know if the N/T diff will work in the Turbo tranny though?

Not exactly sure :confused:. Wish I knew.

ryanman said:
Umm, I used a n/a tranny in my car for a couple weeks while my turbo tranny was being built and it worked just fine.?

Were you using a N/A flywheel and clutch? Because I've been told that there isn't enough clearance for the turbo flywheel and presuure plate on a N/A FWD tranny. My Haynes Manual says: "The model# F5M33 2WD tranny is used with the N/A & Turbo DOHC engines & the model# F5M22 2WD tranny is used with the SOHC engines." I looked at the sticker in the engine bay on my firewall and it says that my tranny is the F5M22! :confused: WTF! :mad: How in the world can this be if it came from the factory with a DOHC engine? Is my manual wrong or is the sticker wrong? My car has givin me the "SHAFT" again.:cry:

Actually I think it's just a DSM. :rolleyes:
Anyway. Thanks for the post guys and keep the info flowing so I can get my car going. :thumb:

does your trannjy shift prefect now? and iof it does how much do you wan tfor it

just69ing said:
does your trannjy shift prefect now? and iof it does how much do you wan tfor it
OMG I know you just didn't post that in my thread OMG Nobody here has even said anything about how their tranny shifted or even if it was for sale. No reason a search in the classifieds would of worked :rolleyes:

yea i did just post that in your thread i know no one said anythign about shifting i was asking i just worded it werid i guess and i was fig. that since you might not be ableto use the tran and was talking about maybe gettting a fwd one then i fig. i would help you out and see if you wanted to sell it ..oh yea and i do search classifieds so theres your F'in reason!!!! :thumbdown

just69ing said:
yea i did just post that in your thread i know no one said anythign about shifting i was asking i just worded it werid i guess and i was fig. that since you might not be ableto use the tran and was talking about maybe gettting a fwd one then i fig. i would help you out and see if you wanted to sell it ..oh yea and i do search classifieds so theres your F'in reason!!!! :thumbdown
DO you know any grammar at ALL? Try using it sometime and people will be alot nicer to you dipshit.

i do know gramer i just was typing fast and hit the submit reply button on accident before I had a chance to reread what I wrote, oh and dont call me a dipshit if i wanted to get insulted by a bunch of retards I would go and post at the honda boards

sorry for freaking out ji had just a really bad day. I dont want to piss anyone off cause i really like this board thanks

All right guys lets keep a cool head here. Just some bad communication that's all. And just to let you know about my AWD tranny. It's gone......ripped the teeth off of the intermidiate gears :rolleyes: . And i'm gonna hold onto my FWD tranny till I figure out a way to fix my car. With that said lets get back on track. Does anyone have any clue why my car has a tranny that comes with the 1.8L(F5M22) and not the 2.0L(F5M33)? What tranny model is yours Ryanman? It just doesn't make since to me that they would stick a tranny made for a smaller motor in my car. I'm hoping my maual is just wrong tho.

Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back