The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved AWD Axle Name This Part

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delicious

Probationary Member
Feb 5, 2010
MANTECA, California
This part is between the transmission and the hub and it holds up the cv axle. it has two, about 14mm, bolts holding it to the engine.

My two bolts broke and that fell, just wanted to know if thats common.

Does it look like this? This is a 97-99 AWD M/T
It's a half shaft bracket.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yeah thats it, why did my bolts break, gettin a tap in there is gonna be a bi***

i have never heard of those bolts breaking. what kind of power are you putting down?
have you ever replaced those bolts?
have you ever hit anything with the driver front tire?

I have no idea why your bolts broke, that is a crappy spot though.

Hopefully someone else that has had an experience like yours will chime in with some help.

Bought the car with it hangin down, bolts broke, one longer than the other. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy i got the car from left it loose and thats why they broke. every thing else on the car was left loose.

Another issue, maybe you guys could figure out, is why trans oil leaks like a sieve when i jack the front end of the car up?

If the half shaft bracket is hanging down like that it could be causing the shaft to pull away form you axle seal. Combine that with lifting up the front or the car and transmission fluid running to the lowest point and that could be the cause of your leak.

I had the same problem. I spent two weeks looking for the smallest 90 degree angle drill I could find. If you have to drill it out like I do, your only option is to pull the motor.

If the bolts are sticking out a bit you can drill through the side of them or weld something to the tip of it to turn it out.

Both of mine broke about 1/8" into the engine block and damaged my drive axle seal. I almost have the motor out.

Good luck.

If they are not seized, you should be able to spin them out by hand or a little pick.

when I bought my car mine was hanging and it leaked oil out if the transfer case. The transfer case in my car had locked up and that is what caused all the problems for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back