The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

autotranny question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsufrkr

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2002
birmingham, Alabama
ok guys i have a question, what causes the auto tranny in my 90 1.8 laser to be stuck in low gear it never comes out of low gear when in drive . it still uses reverse, neutral, park. just when driving the car uses one gear. buy the way not driving it right now. please help

I believe thats a saftey feature. When the tranny is screwed up it just choses a gear and stays in it. Read your manual....it should say something about it.

the car i a 90 it dose not have a manual. what could i do to fix the problem. i know its not the ecu because my oringnal burned up(leaky caps) replaced it and it still dose it. is there any such thing as tcu that only controlls the transmission. please help :laser:

Originally posted by mitsufrkr
the car i a 90 it dose not have a manual. what could i do to fix the problem. i know its not the ecu because my oringnal burned up(leaky caps) replaced it and it still dose it. is there any such thing as tcu that only controlls the transmission. please help :laser:

There is a separate computer for the trans in your car.

Is it stuck in third gear or does it not just not shift out of 1st?

The first step should be for you to see if it has any codes in the TCU.

-John

yes it is stuck in 3rd gear but the car is not throwing a checkengine light or any code. where is the tcu located i will replace it with an nother one and see what happens.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back