The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Auto trans wont shift into first at stop Help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

121xgigawatts

Probationary Member
Mar 5, 2004
Newton, New_Jersey
Ok so my car has been doing this quite a bit lately. When I come to a stop or do a slow roll, the car will absolutely refuse to down shift, instead I start in second gear and take forever to go anywhere. This is scary sometimes when I am trying to pull out in traffic because it is unpredictible. It doesn't always happen but it is very annoying, because I have no control over it. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

is the car 1g or 2g? try to pull some codes and see if the computer sees anything wrong. could be a valve sticking in the valve body. could be pulse generator.

So it refuses to downshift back to first, before you take off? When you slow down the car will downshift all the way to first, then will upshift itself to second to take low gear load off.
Something is weird because only Ford trans actually leave the car in 2nd gear on take off.
Did you try manually moving it down?
Mike

I had the same problem but it would do it spontatneously(spelling?) but sooner or later it gets worse. Its time for a rebuild....Thats what im doing now..

98TalonTSi said:
So it refuses to downshift back to first, before you take off? When you slow down the car will downshift all the way to first, then will upshift itself to second to take low gear load off.
Something is weird because only Ford trans actually leave the car in 2nd gear on take off.
Did you try manually moving it down?
Mike

Yeah when I come to a quick stop, or a roll stop, it won't shift into first no matter if I floor it, or manually downshift. It just won't go. I assumed that there is an override that won't allow it to be manually shifted into first after a certain speed. Other then this problem the trans seems flawless. It shifts perfectly. The car does have some phantom knock. On occasion it will pull the timing to -5, does the ecu work in conjunction with the tcu to prevent damage to the engine. Is this causing the refusal to shift down to first?

Thanks
Roric

No the TCU and the ECU work completely independant of each other. Phantom knock (be sure it's phantom) does not cause any damage.
Weird that it won't downshift.

98TalonTSi said:
No the TCU and the ECU work completely independant of each other. Phantom knock (be sure it's phantom) does not cause any damage.
Weird that it won't downshift.

I thought they worked independantly, but I wasn't sure it the ecu relayed timing values to the transmission. Im just about positive its phantom knock. The car is completely stock with the exception of the turbo. Still running stock boost as well. Have a few things to left to check on it, hoping its relatively easy, but I have replaced almost all sensors so far. As far as the trans goes, do you think the tcu will give off any codes for this one?

Only one way to find out..check it :thumb:
Maybe a loose exhaust or something could cause the knock. At wat engine parameters does knock appear?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back