The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Are the rumors of the oil feed on the head true?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colossus

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2003
Crestview, Florida
I've always been told running the oil feed for a larger turbo (60-1 trim) off the head is a bad idea. Well, I retapped an AN fitting and got it sized for my head, and my oil feed line runs off my head. I was told this deprives it of oil (unless you add more oil to compensate..)

What's the opinion of it? AGP shows their setup feed from the head, but I started stripping out bolts on the oil filter housing to get another supply, so this is all I can tap for oil supply.

I would contact the vender where you bought the turbo and ask.

Most people run the oil feed line from the oil filter housing because it's filtered oil whih is obviously good for the turbo. When you run it from the head it's about as unfiltered as it can possibly get causing it to have impurities that are not good for your turbo. If you stripped the bolts on the filter housing your kind of stuck though. If it's not completly stripped, try getting some penetrating oil and squirt it on the fitting your trying to get out. That's what I had to do with mine and it finally came out but mine wasn't completly stripped either.

Hi,

What I know about it is, when you have a ball bearing turbo you go with the head feed. Because there is less oil pressure and the bearings can take the high pressure of the oil filter housing. When you have a non ball bearing turbo you can take it from the oil filter housing.

Sven

if you decide that you need to change the location of your feed and need to get that bolt out heres what you do:

get a torch and heat the bolt that you want to remove.
how long to heat it you ask when mine was read to come out it was dripping a black liquid
when its al nice and hot take the correct sized alen wrench and a breaker bar and bamm your done....

lets say that you stripped it out completly find yourself a flathead screw driver that is just to big to fit all the way in the bolt. tap it in gently(sp)untill its jammed into the bolt then heat up the bolt as stated above.(make sure that you use a screw driver that has a square shaft or what ever so you can put a cressent wrench on it for torque)crank that screw driver counter clockwise and there you have it no more bolt. :thumb:

It's a volume issue, can't get enough oil volume from the head. Ball bearing turbos just need a restrictor to use oil from the housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back