The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyone know how these 2 connect? See pic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommiman

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2004
Vaughan, Ontario_Canada
Anyone know how these 2 connect? What am I missing? See the before and after.

Attachments

• Talon Engine 003.JPG
    Talon Engine 003.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 391
  • Talon Engine 005.JPG
    Talon Engine 005.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 392
Those 2 pieces do not connect , the other part of that conector mounts to the metal mounting tab . that being said I'm not exactly shure what connector that is but it looks like it might be for the knock sensor if thats the case the other connector is probably under the intake manifold somewhere

95redgsx said:
Those 2 pieces do not connect , the other part of that conector mounts to the metal mounting tab . that being said I'm not exactly shure what connector that is but it looks like it might be for the knock sensor if thats the case the other connector is probably under the intake manifold somewhere
He's right ^^^ On my car this is the connector to the knock sensor. The wires go from the sensor to the missing connector that mounts on the metal tab. The connector you have in the photo plugs into missing connector. The knock sensor is underneath the intake manifold runner for #2 cylinder. Your missing connector is under the manifold, probably near the EGR valve.

toojung2die said:
He's right ^^^ On my car this is the connector to the knock sensor. The wires go from the sensor to the missing connector that mounts on the metal tab. The connector you have in the photo plugs into missing connector. The knock sensor is underneath the intake manifold runner for #2 cylinder. Your missing connector is under the manifold, probably near the EGR valve.

I'm a little confused here. So do these two connect but are missing a piece inbetween or this connector does not plug onto this metal tab but somewhere else?

The missing connector is under the intake manifold???

Please clarify.

tommiman said:
I'm a little confused here. So do these two connect but are missing a piece inbetween or this connector does not plug onto this metal tab but somewhere else?

The missing connector is under the intake manifold???

Please clarify.

The other connector popped off that metal piece (bottom image of second picture, circled in red) and fell down somewhere in the back of the motor. The knock sensor is on the back side of the engine near the #2 cylinder. Follow the wires coming from it and they should end at the connector you are trying to find. Slide it on the metal piece (bottom image of second picture, circled in red) then connect it to other connector (top image of second picture, circled in red).

Mike

lookin4dsm said:
The other connector popped off that metal piece (bottom image of second picture, circled in red) and fell down somewhere in the back of the motor. The knock sensor is on the back side of the engine near the #2 cylinder. Follow the wires coming from it and they should end at the connector you are trying to find. Slide it on the metal piece (bottom image of second picture, circled in red) then connect it to other connector (top image of second picture, circled in red).

Mike

I got it. I'm not sure why you're saying it would end up where the knock sensor connects to the block? Wouldn't it land in a random place at the bottom of the engine?

Anyone know what this piece looks like so I know what I'm looking for?

tommiman said:
I got it. I'm not sure why you're saying it would end up where the knock sensor connects to the block? Wouldn't it land in a random place at the bottom of the engine?

Anyone know what this piece looks like so I know what I'm looking for?
If you start by finding the knock sensor and follow the wire coming off it you will find the piece (it's a connector) you're looking for at the other end of the wire. There's no way to know exactly where it fell but I was guessing you would find it near the EGR valve because that's where the wire runs on my 2g. It looks similar to the connector circled in red in your first photo and plugs into that connector.

toojung2die said:
If you start by finding the knock sensor and follow the wire coming off it you will find the piece (it's a connector) you're looking for at the other end of the wire. There's no way to know exactly where it fell but I was guessing you would find it near the EGR valve because that's where the wire runs on my 2g. It looks similar to the connector circled in red in your first photo and plugs into that connector.

So from what I understand is that you are saying is that it slid down the wiring harness from the connector to the knock sensor. I don't think this can be since the wire to this connector splits at the main hub of the wiring harness. There is no way this can be since the main part of the wiring harness is twice as thick as the two wires at the connector.

Does anyone have a pic of this missing piece?

tommiman said:
So from what I understand is that you are saying is that it slid down the wiring harness from the connector to the knock sensor.

No, that's not what I was trying to say.

tommiman said:
Does anyone have a pic of this missing piece?
Okay, let's try some pictures. The first photo is both connectors together and clipped to the metal tab. The second picture is the connectors taken apart and the piece you are looking for highlighted in yellow. The wires from the highlighted piece go under the intake manifold to the knock sensor. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 100_0649.jpg
    100_0649.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_0647.jpg
    100_0647.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 277
Look in the "valley" area (under the fuel rail, above the intake manifold) to see if it fell down in that area. If you can't find it there, jack up the car and locate the knock sensor from underneath. Follow the wire from the sensor and your missing connector will be at the other end.

Mike

lookin4dsm said:
Look in the "valley" area (under the fuel rail, above the intake manifold) to see if it fell down in that area. If you can't find it there, jack up the car and locate the knock sensor from underneath. Follow the wire from the sensor and your missing connector will be at the other end.

Mike

The thing I forgot to mention is that I had the head and manifolds off. The thing could be anywhere. :notgood:

tommiman said:
The thing I forgot to mention is that I had the head and manifolds off. The thing could be anywhere. :notgood:

Did you remove the knock sensor from the back of the motor? If the sensor is still there, just follow the wire to the missing connector. The wire probably has the black plastic protector around it. When you removed the intake manifold, it probably fell down towards the back of the engine.

See pictures here: http://www.plymouthlaser.com/knock.htm

Mike

lookin4dsm said:
Did you remove the knock sensor from the back of the motor? If the sensor is still there, just follow the wire to the missing connector. The wire probably has the black plastic protector around it. When you removed the intake manifold, it probably fell down towards the back of the engine.

See pictures here: http://www.plymouthlaser.com/knock.htm

Mike

I removed the two bolts from the intake manifold stay so the knock sensor did stay on.

tommiman said:
I removed the two bolts from the intake manifold stay so the knock sensor did stay on.

Look at the link I just gave you again. The first picture has an arrow pointing to the knock sensor. I believe the picture is of a 1G, however, the 2G sensor looks similar and is in the same area. The picture angle is looking down, behind the block, with the intake manifold removed. In order for you to find your knock sensor, you will need to jack up the car, get underneath, and look up towards the back of the motor, under the intake manifold.

tommiman said:
If your head is off finding the knock sensor is easy. Use the pictures In the link lookin4dsm posted. It shows the exact position of the knock sensor. You won't have to get under the car because it will be clearly visible from the top on the firewall side of the block. You'll never have a clearer view of the knock sensor. Now is the best time to get a new one. They go bad with age.

tommiman said:
Wait a minute... You know enough about your car to remove the head and manifolds and you're asking for help to find your knock sensor connector??? I think I just realized that tugging sensation I was feeling is someone pulling my chain. :confused:

toojung2die said:
I think I just realized that tugging sensation I was feeling is someone pulling my chain. :confused:

No, not at all. After looking at CAPS schematics I now understand what you guys are talking about. The whole time I was under the impression that the final connection was at that metal tab and a piece was missing inbetween. Also, I do know where the knock sensor is. Just a mental error on my part.

Basically, now I realized that the knock sensor connects just like the crank sensor.

I'm going to look for the connector when I get a chance in the next few days.

Thank you all for your help! :rocks:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back