The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Anyone have a Quick Fuel Pressure test?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JwpRider

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2010
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Fighting a No-Start...did alot of reading and testing. But this postis focused on the question "Is there a quick way of verifying the fuel pressure is at least OK to run/start the motor"?. I read the following on another site, but would like verification:

"In the past I have pulled my fuel rail out ( 3 bolts) and placed it on top of the valve cover. I then put a paper towel under the injectors. I then cranked the car over to see if the paper towel got wet with fuel. If it does, then you know your fuel system is working properly"

Obvious safety concerns, but does this really work? (I was wondering why the injectors did not just shoot out of the rail. I just assumed that at 40+Psi they would...)

Also heard "If you enable the pump, fuel will run down the FPR return line if the pressure is OK". I realize the best way to determine the pressure is tapping in a gauge, but is there a quick test?

Thanks for the help...again...

PS: Pulled the fuel line and it will fill a 16oz glass in about four cranks, but not sure if it is enough pressure to get the injectors to make a nice pattern. So it is either a bad batch of gas (just filled- drove four miles), clogged filter, FP or FPR. The car started in the morning, stalled in driveway and never started-or tried to start- since. Temp sensor tested, Injectors click, so ECU is happy, new plugs-kinda wet when cranking- and new wires. Timing is dead on...

Last edited:
If, when cranking you are getting your plugs wet, then you might have a bad cooling sensor.

and for the Fuel Pressure.

Just spray some Throttle body cleaner or Start Spray liquid and crank it. If it is not starting because of gasoline then It will start wright away with a couples of spray.

Thanks for the info...I have tested the CTS, and it is fine...just wondering if the FP tests mentioned are valid tests. I don't want to rely on these 'suggestions' unless the are proven tests. If anyone has an idea of a 'quick FP test', that would be great! Thanks again...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back