The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Alternator/ Water Pump belt making noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasander

Probationary Member
May 17, 2005
Fenton, Michigan
To start off my car died and I removed the alternator and the battery to get it checked at Autozone. They said my alternator was fine, but that my battery was dead, so I got a new battery. When I installed the alternator I heard a squealing noise from the belt. I've played around with adjusting the tension on the alternator belt, but I still get the squealing noise. This makes me believe that a bearing in the water pump pulley or crankshaft has gone out, though I'm skeptical that its my crankshaft pulley(when I take the belt off the car it runs fine without any noise).

My question for you guys is, does a squeal made due to the water pump pulley indicate that my water pump might be going out as well? The pulley doesn't appear to wiggle or move, but who knows.

I have a 95 Eagle Tlon Tsi AWD with a 6-bolt swap.
Thanks!
Dan

everyone always says this is harmonic dampener... i know this is an old thread but im sick of people giving one solution on this when this is maybe the problem 25% of the time.

I fixed this problem on my car and my friends very similar situation and the tensioner bolt can be bent due to tightening over time take it off check it then either get another bolt or tight it when its off the car. then put it back on push the alternator down by hand or with a pole then slide the bolt in... but make sure you have rubber or cloth between the metal and alternator.

I dunno if that makes sense to you but my bolt felt like it wouldnt tighten anymore and i stopped i was worried i was over tightening but the bolt was just bent and was stuck. Ive found several people to have this issue. Not saying it couldnt be the harmonic dampener but this is a easy thing to try first.

Also i know this thread is old but this could still help someone else that comes along.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back