The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Alternator and Big Brake-Cheap ways

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhyena69

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 25, 2004
Dae-Gu,South Korea, Asia
As you guys can see my profile, I LIVE IN KOREA which doesn't have Mitshubishi Dealer.

So, If I have problem with my DSM (1997 eclipse GST) I have to imports parts directly from US (very very expensive) or have to deal with HYUNDAI parts which seems usable to my DSM.

From last week, I had my alternator problem, low low voltage during driving, I called Mitsu dealer in US and ask the price of the alternator. It was TOOOOOOOO expensive including Shipping. So, I decide to use cheap hyundai one. It's only alternator.

I took out DSM alternator and went to HYUNDAI part shop, I compare about 3 other alternator, finally found 2002 EF sonata's alternator has 4pin connector and 110amp and look very similar. ( I know it's very un-professinal way)

I think I was lucky, That sonata's alternator was fit...braket location was little bit off but I use grinder and made it fit.

I works fine and cost me around $125.00 total.

Next one is brake, Since I have GST and it comes with 1 piston brake system.
I'm ok with a brake but only problem is it's really hard to find brake pad for front brake.
everytime I had to change my brake pad(front) I had to order US. That made me crazy.
So, I had to find cheaper ways to maintain my brake system and I finally found the solution. Guess what...It's hyndai again. One of my friend already did it with Hyundai XG (2004+) caliper+disc(12") Again, run to hyundai part shop and bought XG caliper and I saw 2005 tiburon's disc rotor...it's cross drilled one...so, I compared both (xg's and tiburon's) disc very un-professional way. (just stick together and sizing by eye) It seems same size. What the heck I bought tiburon's disc, and XG's 2piston caliper. I was lucjy again, I had to grind hub a little, it fits great. Now I have 2piston brake and dont have to
find DSM brake pad anymore. installation pic is below. Thanx

Attachments

• Big brake2.jpg
    Big brake2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,287
Do not blame me for fake brembo sticker. My girl friend did it.

Attachments

• big brake3.jpg
    big brake3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 674
project_tsi said:
hey that brake job is cool. Do you know if it would work on 1st gens?

I just called my friend.

His brake combination is very weidr...2G GSX caliper which is 2 piston + Hyundai XG(2001) 11" disc rotor.
2G GSX Caliper is little narrow inner part so he had to milling disc little.

But If you want to use XG(2004+) caliper + Tiburon(2005) Disc Rotor like mine.
It might work with little modification like I did.

Good Luck.

dave99gst said:
so how do they feel ? hows the fade ?

I installed them today so I really didn;t have time to test, I just drove around few minutes and Brake feels better. I'll drive more later and post here.

This is fantastic, good work man.
I'm actually very excited about this mod, and I'm thinking if your results turn out well i'll do the same to my GSX.

Do you think with the stock gsx wheels I'd ahve to do any grinding?
Also, is the rotor any better than what I already have? (stock) Are they any larger? They certainly look more aggressive.

Again, excellent work on that stuff, I love seeing people get a little creative. :thumb:

PieEyedPiper said:
This is fantastic, good work man.
I'm actually very excited about this mod, and I'm thinking if your results turn out well i'll do the same to my GSX.

Do you think with the stock gsx wheels I'd ahve to do any grinding?
Also, is the rotor any better than what I already have? (stock) Are they any larger? They certainly look more aggressive.

Again, excellent work on that stuff, I love seeing people get a little creative. :thumb:

1. I'm not sure about your rotor size. 2005(Maybe it's 2006 Model in US) Tiburon(2.7)'s rotor size is 303mm which is 11.93" (almost 12" anyway) I think it's about 1.5" larger than stock GST rotor. Still not sure about GSX.

2. Yes If you have a 16" or lager wheel, you can do it. But you still have to grind inner part of rotor or hub...just little bit. Don't have to worry about Wheel thou.

3. If you want to keep your GSX's caliper and just want to change the rotor, That case you must milling(?) the rotor surface also, but not recomended.

4. Is hyundai parts cheaper than Mitchubishi in US?

FYI, the 2003-2006 Tiburon guys use the xg parts as an upgrade so use the smallest amount of tiburon parts as possible.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

hey do you have to have a bracket for this, because it looks like you do, or will it bolt straight up on the GST no problems?

-garrett

jasoncitrano said:
The brakes look sweet either way man. Hey what color red is that/what kind of paint?

Thanx ^^
and paint is Japanese brand called "SOFT 99" color is...just RED
It comes with GOLD, RED, BLUE and YELLOW.
It's totally diffrent than Duply spray one.
It actually Shines. Specially GOLD one was really good.

Soft99 is not a spray type, It comes with paint, hardener and brush.
It was enough to paint 2sets of calipers.

98eclipsespyder said:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

hey do you have to have a bracket for this, because it looks like you do, or will it bolt straight up on the GST no problems?

-garrett

You don't need a bracket. It will bolt right up on my GST exept that grinding. That picture was not taken by me, I used that picture to show you guys where to grind.

Pictures with RED caliper with fake BREMBO sticker is mine.

And picture with Bracket was 4 piston set up by one of South Korea DSM member(Korea DSM is not official thou) I really wanted to that 4 piston set up(it uses Hyundai,too and dirt cheap compare with AEM or Brembo) , but that set-up was little more expensive and doesn't come with drilled rotor (don't call me ricer thou)

He spend about $600 for that 4 piston set up using Hyundai Equus brake system.(not availeable in US)

That equus setup sounds tempting since I work for a dealership and could get parts really cheap.

mavisky said:
That equus setup sounds tempting since I work for a dealership and could get parts really cheap.

Equus is not avail. in US, but you can still get parts? That sounds cool.

Here's how it looks with Equss 4 piston Brake on 2G GSX

You need a bracket cause Equus rotor is 13" Huge~!

Bracket shown lower right hand coner on pic.

Attachments

• 4piston setup.jpg
    4piston setup.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 562
I doubt I can have them just look up the part numbers, but if I had the part numbers I may be able to special order them. I'd have to check one of these days.

I have some more info to add to this now,

The stock GSX rotors are 275mm

spoolup said:
275mm in diameter (thanks RRE) 2nd item down http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclbrakes.htm

Nice detective work, thanks bro.

assa 98gsx said:
Yes, it's a good upgrade, about 1 and 1/2 inch bigger than our stock rotors. I am also interested in doing that 4 piston conversion.

So it is! I'm very hot on those Tiburon rotors.

BUT! if these are 1 to 1 and 1/2 inches larger than the stock GSX rotors, how can they be the same amount larger than the FWD rotors?

So really my question is how big are the stock FWD rotors? Just so I can have all this information straight and confirmed.

Also, if these rotors are 303mm (read: bigger than ours) and we use the stock mounts with the XG caliper, or even our own calipers (despite any required modding), would that not defeat the purpose of larger rotors?

If I understand correctly, you have greater braking power with a larger rotor due to leverage, right?

But what happens if our caliper is grabbing at the same height on the larger rotor as it would on the stock ones? would it effectively give us the same breaking ability since its not using the enhanced diameter of the new rotors?

maybe I'm over-analyzing.

PieEyedPiper said:
I have some more info to add to this now,

The stock GSX rotors are 275mm

Nice detective work, thanks bro.

So it is! I'm very hot on those Tiburon rotors.

BUT! if these are 1 to 1 and 1/2 inches larger than the stock GSX rotors, how can they be the same amount larger than the FWD rotors?

So really my question is how big are the stock FWD rotors? Just so I can have all this information straight and confirmed.

Also, if these rotors are 303mm (read: bigger than ours) and we use the stock mounts with the XG caliper, or even our own calipers (despite any required modding), would that not defeat the purpose of larger rotors?

If I understand correctly, you have greater braking power with a larger rotor due to leverage, right?

But what happens if our caliper is grabbing at the same hight on the larger rotor as it would on the stock ones? would it effectively give us the same breaking ability since its not using the enhance diameter of the new rotors?

maybe I'm over-analyzing.

Ok, I just re-sizing my old GST rotor and it's about 255mm. I was wrong. sorry
So, Tiburon rotor is about 48mm bigger than gst one. hehe..
how did I know excat size of Tibi rotor? It said 303mm on the box.

I don't really know about 2nd question. BUT If you want to use GSX caliper...It doens't fit with tibi's rotor. Cause Tibi's rotor is Thicker than our rotor.

I had a 1piston caliper, now I have 2piston caliper...much much better braking power.
I had 255mm rotor, now I have 303mm rotor...lager the rotor space, bigger the braking power(That's what I thought)
I had a flat surface rotor, Now I have cross drilled Rotor...Rotor will have less heat. It will prevent wrap by heat. (also comes from my own knowlogy)

dont understand last Question...English is not my native languge. Sorry about that.
I hope that Someone would anwer this question.

assa 98gsx said:
Do you know where can we buy those brackets? Or those are custom made? The setup really looks very very tempting.. :)

That's Hyundai 4 piston upgrade bracket kit for hyundai cars, so it doesn't fit st8 for our DSM.

So, you will need some modification. Since they are selling in Korea($140-170) + shiping cost...it would be $200 for just braket(not worth)
You'd better ask someone to make that in US with same or less amount of $$$

Just in case here's link
http://imotorroom.com/frontstore/It..._id=motor&level=yes&mother_catalog_num=132182

I'll try to get excact spec for that bracket.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back