The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G AC problem on my GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daltah

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 27, 2002
phoenix, Arizona
I bought a 95 GST and in AZ the temps average between 108-116 right now and everytime I come to a stop light or park and the car idles the ac tuns hot. Also if I drive with the ac on for about 5-10 minutes the temp guage goes to 3/4 high mark and as soon as I turn the ac off it goes back down to the middle. What are the most common things that would cause this?

These were symptoms of when I didn't have a radiator fan. Obviously, I was fine while rolling, but when at stoplights, the car started to run hot. Watch your temps, you could be running hot.

The guy I bought it from just put a new thin aftermarket radiator fan on the car and it does run hot when the ac is on.

Hopefully you have 2 fans behind that radiator that are both working.
Things you can try:
1) wire both fans to be on together or even all the time.
2) replace thermostat with lowest temp one you can find or even just remove it.
3) replace radiator (when they get old they don't transfer heat as well and can get permanently clogged).
4) back flush cooling system (use backflush can of cleaner and follow directions or have a shop do it).
5) add Water Wetter to radiator.

do you have a front mount? or something else blocking the flow of the radiator? if you have something in front it's real hard for a small fan to pull that much more air through the vents of course haveing all other above mentioned things being checked and verified as good

Hopefully you have 2 fans behind that radiator that are both working.
Things you can try:
1) wire both fans to be on together or even all the time.
2) replace thermostat with lowest temp one you can find or even just remove it.
3) replace radiator (when they get old they don't transfer heat as well and can get permanently clogged).
4) back flush cooling system (use backflush can of cleaner and follow directions or have a shop do it).
5) add Water Wetter to radiator.

I do have a fmic on my car. How do you wire both fans to always run at the same time? And is that fine? Also how do I know if the aftermarket slim fan on the driver side is big enough?

Find a power source thats always on under your dash or at least on while the the key is in the ACC position run a 12v/30AMP relay to it and run a switch between the ground and the ground postion of the relay. Then the switch circuit of the relay to the fans power.

Simple. ;-)

But if the car only runs hot when the ac is on and when its off it fine then I should not have to have both running at all times because the second fan comes on when the ac goes on anyways and that is when it gets hot. So it seems like something else

It could just be a cooling issue with the radiator. Since the condenser is right next to the radiator, if the radiator starts to get really hot, the condenser will not be able to work as efficiently, thus your a/c will get hot when it is functioning correctly.

The radiator is a new oem one that is only 6 months old. I checked the fans and they are blowing the right way pulling the air in but the aftermarket slim one on the drivers side does not blow nearly as hard as the oem fan on the passenger side. Is that how it is so post to be or should they both be blowing just as hard

This guy isn't trying to sell "imaginary" seats LOL... they would look nicer if they were. This guy has tons of DSM Parts... his seats look old, wrinkly, black leather, not new, not reuphostered... just old stock blaaaa seats LOL

If the drivers side fan is so post to blow pull air just as hard as the passenger side fan then I guess I have to by a oem one. ?????????

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back