The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

AC Compressor Cycling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_23

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2002
Springfield, Missouri
I just took my car to the a/c shop to get vacuumed and recharged with R134, everything is fine and the car blows cold air when the compressor is engauged, problem is that the compressor is cycling every 7-10 seconds or so..during that time it gets cold then stops and gets warmer, then repeats... what could be causing this? Everything other than that appears to be working great.

The system is still low on refrigerant. If it ran out ONCE it will run out again cause you have a LEAK somewhere in the AC system. Go to a parts store and get a can of 134a with Ultraviolet dye in it. Then charge the AC system yourself with the self charge hose/gauge.

Next time it leaks out. check the whole car with a black light or the special glasses they sell at autozone. where ever you see the DYE is where the leak is. That part will need replaced. Then you can refill the system again and it will stay filled. :)

The AC system is sealed...if refrigerant leaks out then you have a LEAK that needs repaired.

Your compressor will keep cycling fast until the refrigerant eventually gets too low and will kick the low level switch in the comp so it will not work at all.

its not as common but a high pressure will also cause it to cycle, specially on the 2G's . only way to know for sure would be if you could hook up some gauges to it.

hmm well it holds pressure for sure, I just let it cool off after I got back from the shop and restarted it and let it warm up and it ran fine, compressor ran like it should and it was ice cold....the system hasnt been charged in a long time so maybe it took a while to work correctly?

they just said it was a vacuum and recharge job, I know it holds pressure for quite some time, and it was working great earlier, so Im not sure what to think..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back