The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

About to do a tranny rebuild.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
Here is the deal. I need to do a tranny rebuild since my second and forth gear are gone from a mudding inscedent. I got my taxes in and am ready to place an order right now but I need some feedback or sites I can get a performance rebuild kit with better clutches and the other what not's. I know IPT offers a rebuild kit but I was hoping to find some other deals and maybe some better pricing. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

IPT hands down. I wouldn't try and find anywhere else for a performance rebuild. Also it would be great if you could do a write-up on this. These are difficult to rebuild and I think it would really help to have a technical article with pictures to help out.

well..this would be my first tranny I have ever torn into so this is a learning experience for me as well. I am very mechanically inclined so I feel I can do this :) I have been debating on getting a new tranny or just do the upgrade myself. I am still leaning toward doing the upgrade myself to save the extra cash.

I am very mechanically inclined too but without the proper clearance tools and a really good understanding automatic transmissions, this one is by far not a good one to start with. I have done a couple dozen auto rebuilds in my day and I looked into one of these and decided against it.

Truthfully, guys, about the only "special tools" that you need are a drum spring compressor ($150), feeler gauges ($10), dial indicator ($50), and an inch lb torque wrench. The factory manual is incredibly detailed and the TransLab shift kit (the one IPT sells) has a lot of useful info and tips. Tim, it sounds like your car has just busted or burned the band. Dacco-Detroit is a national seller that also has first rate, oe quality parts, that can usually be found in or near any major city. If either of you decide to go for it, feel free to PM me if you get stuck.

P.S. Thanks for the box, Tim!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back