The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

A/T Top Speed mods? aka:how fast have you been in your auto?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky750

Probationary Member
Jul 22, 2004
West Lafayette @ PURDUE, Indiana
Hey guys, I know we're all gung-ho about tuning for speed off the line, 1/4 miles for beating those pesky M/T(headed) guys and everything... But how fast have you all gotten your Auto DSMs at the TOP END of the spectrum??? i kinda checked, but I didn't see a thread with info devoted to this sorta A/T knowledge

Fastest I've taken my Talon... a whopping 75mph OMG :)cry: yeah, I have no OD) and trust me, it hurts me every day. :( (I've been 160 on my GSXR tho...)

...and once I get everything up and running as it should... are there any sort of modifications concocted to increase the top speed of this beast?? (With our auto trannies, i figure it's not as simple as regearing a motorcycle though) It'd be nice to not only melt people's faces from a roll, but to be able to continue that up beyond 140. . . :D

Top-end performance and max top speed being 2 different issues, of couse. i'm just curious about good ol' M P H

thanks,
-rick :thumb:

An idea....instead of top speed (super dangerous), why not meaure like 30-60 or 60-90 or 30-90 or 50-100 (you get the idea)....some sort of span where you can really measure top end performance. That's something that DSMLinkers do frequently to see the differences of a turbo or new fuel/timing setting across the board.
Mike

135 and could have pushed a little more, but I was scared.
-Rob

98TalonTSi said:
An idea....instead of top speed (super dangerous), why not meaure like 30-60 or 60-90 or 30-90 or 50-100 (you get the idea)....some sort of span where you can really measure top end performance. That's something that DSMLinkers do frequently to see the differences of a turbo or new fuel/timing setting across the board.
Mike

Thanks for the tip.

I never said it wasn't dangerous, and yes, I've heard about the issues DSMs have with stability at speed... but that still doesn't change my question. It's like a kid asking what happens if he licks the flagpole in the dead of winter and getting the answer: "Don't do it". Sure it's good advice, but beside the point. I didn't say I was gonna go out and try to run say 195mph, just wanted to know what our auto trannies are capable of and if it's possible to increase that capacity. And just in case i find myself racing in the Salt flats or the Cali desert, it's always nice to know just how much is left in the ol' tank. :D

So I guess to answer your question of why not measure 30-60, or 50-100 or what not... I mean I could... but that would be gaging top-end performance (hp). something different from top-speed, which is the thing I thought I made clear I was curious about. :) LOL

My thoughts are more like...
Are the sun gear and planetary gear ratios SET into stone? would it be possible to adjust (heighten) only the 4th gear w/o screwing up everything else? Any other drivetrain ideas/possibilities? I know larger overall diameter wheel/tire combo would increase top speed but i don't think the gain would be significantly measurable.

-rick

aha! hit 78 today on a hill with a tailwind and a car full of pizza. Watch out, I'm creeping up on youse guys! My fave top speed mod so far: big hill. Man, I can just kick it into neutral and rolll....

:p

137 when it was completely stock. don't have a long enough road around here.

i think it's about 137MPH with my 91 TSI AWD, also considering free mods, filter, 3" turboback exhaust and 15psi. 137MPH and about 6400k

115, still have the speed governor on the ECU. Dont really need to go that fast but I was on the 6 lane expressway in the middle of Wis and no one around... Car doesnt seem to want to shift into final drive gear so I need to get that fixed but Im to poor for a new tranny. DO NOT ATTEMPT ON STOCK TIRES!!! you lose grip around 90 or so and its not fun.

i'd say 160-170 or so i dont know for sure i was at 8100 rpm in od in my drag car with a 60-1 and 8250 rev limit....

Awoler said:
i'd say 160-170 or so i dont know for sure i was at 8100 rpm in od in my drag car with a 60-1 and 8250 rev limit....

well damn OMG

as for me 137 but i let off b/c I could feel she was knocking, god I need a fmic :thumbdown

Had my auto laser at 125 racing a wrx and I was ahead! Finally found an advantage of this fwd winter beater! But still not fun compared to drving a m/t in my opinion. :(

I hit 145-150 going downhill a couple months ago. Was fun until a 3g pulled out in front of me.

fastest i've had my automatic 4g64 was 120, but i kept running out of highway room. now that it's a 5spd, i'll have to re-try after the clutch breaks in.

135 in my 2g auto Talon and i couldve gone faster but driving that fast is stupid.

i've got 141 on my 95 gs-t
walbro 190
intake and filter
1g bov
ngk 7s and accel wires
all free mods
3" turbo back (apexi dp and thermal exhaust no cat)

it was 20 degrees out side on the elgin-ohare express way and when i hit WOT
the car studdard a little bit and then went.

towards the upper rpm band i heard a loud bang (not the sound barrier ;) :thumb: )
but it sounded lke someone was hitting the back end of my car with a bat

my friend who behind me in his awd tsi told me that i was shooting flames out of my exhaust BIG ONES over and over again. like about 7 to 10 times before i let off the gas

i need to get a safc soon im running too rich

the flames out of the exhaust would that hurt anything???

edit earlier post.....i've been 140 now in my TSI AWD (as of last night....) :shhh:

ive only hit about 120,but it felt like it still had alot more to give before calling it a day.it was about 1 am on i75 so no one was around.140 is what the vfaq lists as stock top speed for 1st gens in stock form,i think i could hit that no problem given enough road.but i doubt ill be trying it anytime soon,my last 260$ speeding ticket slowed me down immensely.73 in a 45.i was young and stupid 3 years ago.

I've gotten around 105 on flat ground, about 115-120 going down the 7% grade into SLO. I was too scared to take my eyes off of the road, but my buddy looked over at the speedometer after he realized that I was still on the accelerator and the little sign that displays speed for trucks was just flashing "11". Apparently those things only have 2 digit displays. Oh, '92 FWD 1.8L auto eclipse, stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back