The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

99 Eclipse GST 300WHP DD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luisgil

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2013
Paterson, New_Jersey
About a month ago I picked up a clean 99 Eclipse GST, mostly stock except for a front mount, turbo timer, NRG BOV, and cheap ebay boost controller. Being 16 and no license the car just sits in my backyard, it'll be out by February so I'm getting it ready for the streets. Currently it needs a trans and clutch and all the other maintenance. Being my first car I have absolutely no idea on how to work on it so its gonna be a long road, luckily I have a few friends who are willing to help.
Plans for 300 HP
650cc Injectors
ARP Head Studs
16G Turbo Small
Around 20 PSI of boost

IMG_20131114_163736_zps1d405e58.jpg

20131111_095033_zps12096bab.jpg

Good luck with the build! I started out in a similar situation with me being 18 and changing the clutch on a 98 gst with no knowledge besides oil changes. The best advice I could give you is don't cheap out on parts because it'll end up costing more when the part craps out and do something right the first time so you don't have problems down the road. Once again good luck, building a car is a great experience :thumb:

Definitely not going to cheap out on things. Maintenance goes first and i'm planning on getting the Gates racing Timing belt, new tensioner pulley as well. When I'm doing the timing belt im probably going to do the water pump as well.

yeah dont forget to do things such as spark plugs,spark plug wires,boost leak test, ALL maintenance. Just refer to the maintenance guide on the site. Im 18 and i also got the eclipse gst spyder when i just turned 17 and had no knowledge of cars. It got frustrating at times but thats the life of a dsm'r...

Woke up to this in the morning. The night before the alternator squealed a lot more than it usually will.

th_IMG_01351_zpsbbd40221.jpg

So my best bet was the alternator which was already at its last limbs when I got the car so to work I began! Sadly I didn't finish taking out the alternator. But while I was at it I removed the old bumper which was cracked and was missing a piece on the drivers side.

IMG_0138_zps65af7273.jpg

You probly know this, but if you unbolt the ac fan you can take the alternator out thru the top :thumb: clean car, and good luck with your build. You'll need more than 20psi on that 16g for 300whp tho, if you're putting head studs in it can handle more anyways

You probly know this, but if you unbolt the ac fan you can take the alternator out thru the top :thumb: clean car, and good luck with your build. You'll need more than 20psi on that 16g for 300whp tho, if you're putting head studs in it can handle more anyways

If he already has an exhaust and fmic he shouldent need no 20 psi on the turbo.
to reach 300 hp that is.

If he already has an exhaust and fmic he shouldent need no 20 psi on the turbo.
to reach 300 hp that is.
Yes, I do have an exhaust and obviously a front mount. I wasn't planning on running over 22 PSI on the turbo because I still want to keep the car safe for Daily Driving.

Update : Due to the rain I couldn't really work on the car sadly. But what I did do is clean the what I can of the interior. When the weather warms up I plan on taking the whole thing out and cleaning it well.

IMG_0124_zps67151a90.jpg

On an additional note, how do I use the stock amp on an aftermarket radio?

Last edited:
Hey great build thread! I was in the same position as you bro, I got my gsx when I was 15! I'm located in Wayne right next to paterson if u ever need any help or anything pm me!

You have something T'd into your BOV line (looks like a boost gauge line). I would advise running a dedicated vac line from intake manifold to the BOV. Then Tee into the Fuel pressure regulator line for the boost gauge.

For your no-start issue: Check the Coolant Temp Sensor located on the thermostat housing. For many, (sadly including myself) this little switch has caused great stress. Check to see that its plugged in 2 prongs perpendicular to each other (shaped like a T) and that the wires aren't damaged.
-visual ref (bottom sensor circled in green) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vtown661/DSC01655copy.jpg

Anyway good luck.

Great looking car man! My first DSM was a red GST when I was 16 too. These cars turn into an addiction.(which I'm sure everyone here can tell you.) I too live in the north east, and it's a pain in the butt working in the driveway in the winter and rain, but once you get your car built the way you want you'll feel amazing! Good luck and I'm gonna be keeping my eye on this build :thumb: .

Dan

You have something T'd into your BOV line (looks like a boost gauge line). I would advise running a dedicated vac line from intake manifold to the BOV. Then Tee into the Fuel pressure regulator line for the boost gauge.

For your no-start issue: Check the Coolant Temp Sensor located on the thermostat housing. For many, (sadly including myself) this little switch has caused great stress. Check to see that its plugged in 2 prongs perpendicular to each other (shaped like a T) and that the wires aren't damaged.
-visual ref (bottom sensor circled in green) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vtown661/DSC01655copy.jpg

Anyway good luck.

All the help is much appreciated thank you! Any advise given is very helpful. I'm changing out the fuel filter, new spark plug wires, and spark plugs but i'm thinking it might be Coolant Temp Sensor. Reason im changing those anyways is because I had to change em out eventually so I'm knocking them right out the way.

hey man diddo to everyone else that had eclipses when they were 15 and sixteen im 20 now i got my first one when i was 15 it was a red 96 rs lowered with the origional 5 spoke mitsu rims painted black intake exhaust etc... i fell in love with the car and soon after blowing the clutch (it was my first car &yes i taught myself to drive it) i got 4 more afterwards. then i got my first turbo one when i was 17 it was a 96 tsi fwd but that dirtybird was the fastest car ive ever owned by FAR. when i blew the trans on that cause of something to do with my double syncroed gears i took a break from dsm to expand my horison. but eclipses, talons, basically all dsms are my passion. i live in ny but some problem you may have i may have had too. its been about a week since your last post so i can only assume that youve already replaced your ignition components like you stated. has it started? if not recheck your ignition wiring and the gaps of the plugs. like mike02rt said make direct connections for your vacum hoses. Also, a common problem i found (even though i never had a 99) check your IAC (idle air control) valve while your in there. i remember when i was trying to do the same thing with the ignition and when i got the plates NY state gives you ten days to get the car inspected and it ended up throwing an emissions code because of it. hey, you never know right? keep me posted man good looking clean car your gonna have oodles of fun doing it yourself cause i know i did!

congrats on the pick up. looks like a good car to start from. so glad you didn't say i'm 16, first car ever, and looking to make 5000 HP. 300 is a realistic goal. good luck!

Justin, and I work at the supermarket across the street from Wayne Valley. Trust me there's a couple of us.

Wow really who? Small world ROFL its good to know there is another dsmer around here besides me :hellyeah:

Small world indeed, cool to see another DSMer in North NJ, im not too far from Paterson myself.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back