The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

97 RS Start-up and idle problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gDSM1997

Probationary Member
Feb 26, 2013
Austin, Texas
Ok so ive tried tackling the problem myself to no avail so its time I ask for help. My 97 Rs will not start unless I press the gas pedal upon start up. it will sometimes start the very first time w/o gas pedal pressed but after that it will not start unless the gas is pressed down. When I do this though, it always starts so I am able to get around. Also, another problem rose simultaneously: a lot of times when im driving and go into neutral and let go of the gas, my idle stays up in the 1800-2000 rpm range for about 5 seconds. So far here's what Ive done to try to fix:
-New ignition coil and spark plugs (OBD read cylinder misfire in all 4 cylinders)
-Cleaned out throttle body which was VERY dirty
-Checked fuel pump and fuel pump relay, both good

Just thought id listen to you guys' opinion and get pointed in the right direction before I waste any more money or time for that matter. Thanks guys

check the fuel filter and fuel pressure at the rail, also check for any loose vacuum lines. Then go back and make sure the spark plug wires are seated properly. Did you notice any difference when you replaced the coil pack at all?

check your wires, its the wire that goes down when u press the gas. tighten it, and leave a little slack, itll help with the rpms. mine was in a u shape, which made my car difficult to start as well.

Ok will do to the above and no I did not notice a difference at all after replacing the coil pack. my gut tells me its a problem with the gas/throttle, which was what I was going to tackle next before I decided to listen to some input. we'll c how it goes

Another thing that I'm surprised wasn't mentioned is to check the IAC (idle air control) valve. It's located at the bottom of your throttle body. It sees coolant flow and gets gummed up and can fail over time and it is what controls airflow via inducing a small vacuum leak when you're not pressing on the throttle. Your higher revving when in neutral may be due to this valve getting stuck open. Basically, pressing the throttle bypasses the action of this mechanism so there stands a good chance this is your issue.

Problem Solved! IAC Valve was dirty

Big thanks to Pale Horse for dropping some knowledge and helping me out and also thanks to the other user who offered advice

Took it out, cleaned it with some tb cleaner, re-installed it and lo and behold my car started with no problem and doesn't have the idling problems anymore. Its back to running like a champ! Thanks again guys

DSMTuners:hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back