The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 97 downstream o2 sensor issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM NE

Proven Member
Oct 21, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska
So my car has been to the shop I wanted them to also change my downstream o2 sensor by the exhaust but they told me it wouldn’t matter because the sensor would get damaged because of heat since there is no catalytic converter also I’m pretty sure the aem wideband for the air fuel ratio gauge is taped on to the o2 sensor so I’m wondering is there anything I can use to protect it or something also yes it’s straight piped

The O2 after the cat is far enough downstream from the exhaust valve that heat will not be an issue for either a NB or WB O2.

So it don’t matter if straight piped? It’s legit the same connection just that the connection that enters the whole from the bottom is kind of tapped also the wideband is rapper legit on the o2 sensor and idk where it’s plugged to also I’m talking about the one below the car in case you’re talking about the one by the manifold

• My bad I reply in between classes
  • So it don’t matter if straight piped? It’s legit the same connection just that the connection that enters the whole from the bottom is kind of taped also the wideband is legit taped on the o2 sensor.like the cords are taped together
  • I don’t know where it’s plugged to also I’m talking about the one below the car in case you’re talking about the one by the manifold.

The rear o2 sensor is purely there to tell the ecu if the catalytic converter is functioning or not. If you have no catalytic converter while it is true that the rear o2 sensor will see higher heat and could be damaged from that heat I don't think it is likely. In any case changing the sensor won't do much because a bad rear o2 sensor will function fairly equivalently to a good rear o2 sensor when no catalytic converter is present. If you are driving the car on the street my recommendation would be to install a cat. The power gains are fairly minimal unless you're running decently high boost and the environment will appreciate it.

Where is your wideband o2 sensor installed relative to your oem front and rear sensors? Is it installed where the rear o2 sensor would normally be or does your car have 3 o2 sensors?

i
  • My bad I reply in between classes
  • So it don’t matter if straight piped? It’s legit the same connection just that the connection that enters the whole from the bottom is kind of taped also the wideband is legit taped on the o2 sensor.like the cords are taped together
  • I don’t know where it’s plugged to also I’m talking about the one below the car in case you’re talking about the one by the manifold.
if you dont want to throw a check engine light then it does matter if its straight piped and you should put a catalytic converter on the car but if you dont want to have a check engine light then youll want to put a catalytic converter on there the legit whole that the downstream o2 sensor goes through is under the driver seat and the connector for it is inside the car after the wiring goes through the legit whole it sounds like youre saying that the wiring for the wideband is taped to the wiring of the downstream o2 sensor right after the wiring goes through the legit whole under the car which if this is the case you dont have a wideband you have a narrowband sensor gauge if you have a wideband gauge then it wont just have lights blinking on it but it will have a number read out showing the air fuel ratio below is the difference between a narrowband and a wideband so you know which one you have as far as the shop telling you it will get damaged from the heat then take your car to a different shop because they dont know what theyre talking about the front o2 sensor is inches away from the turbo and doesnt get damaged so the downstream sensor being halfway down the car is fine its just throwing a downstream o2 sensor check engine light because you dont have a catalytic converter so like tstkl said you should put on one if you drive the car on the street because you wont see any noticeable power differences

narrowband gauge
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

wideband gauge

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

But the car is a wide-band it’s an aem wideband gauge I’ll try to confirm it later today if it’s not the o2 sensor then what could be causing the car to go rich at like 25 it shows on the gauge and the car smells rich also stings eyes

Pretty sure close to the rear o2 I’ll check though to confer what the cable is

I’ll post a video tomorrow and I’ll link you it thanks for responding anything that helps is greatly appreciated

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back