1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

96 gsx 5 spd trans questions

Posted by BrianC, May 10, 2013

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. BrianC

BrianC Probationary Member

Joined Apr 15, 2013
    Saginaw, Michigan
    around 40mph and up i can hear the transmission straight down from my shifter sounds like something spinning. anyone have an idea what it could be?
    i know i shouldnt but when i move the stick ( apply pressure forward) while in gear the pitch changes.

BrianC

162  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  2. 92GVR4SC

92GVR4SC Proven Member

Joined May 17, 2006
    Cayce, South Carolina
    Make sure the big 22 mm nut is tight (under the end cover). Can remove cover, and tighten while transmission is still in the car. Worst case, you may have a end bearing going bad on the one of the main shafts. You can see this when you remove the end cover, assuming it's the bearing on that end of the transmission?? Make sure the round wavy spring and 5th gear syncro are in place when you put the cover back on. I would use some vasoline or trans assembly grease to hold it in place as you put the cover back on. However if you feel there is some major issue going on inside the transmission, then just pull it out.

862  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    automatic · Galant VR-4
  3. Puff0725

Puff0725 Proven Member

Joined Mar 23, 2014
    Hahira, Georgia
    Had the same issue in my 98 gst and neglected it for about 2 weeks. Was on the way to the shop to pull the trans and it came apart on me. Cause if the problem was a main shaft bearing. Not saying this is your problem or that it's going to happen to you just sharing my info.

Street Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. mercaholik

mercaholik Proven Member

Joined Mar 1, 2014
    Warwick, Rhode Island
    You are gonna have to pull it, sorry but the longer you wait the more damage could occur. Our you can try and take a video with good audio. Does it sound different on coast down/decel then accel? Does it matter what gear your in at 40, like does 5th sound different then, 3rd or 4th?

5. TurkF26

TurkF26 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 6, 2003
    vacaville, California
    Could also be your transfer case. Have you checked the fluid in the tcase? Have you pulled it and checked for grinding or sounds when spinning the t case? My buddy had a 97 gsx (before i had mine) and the t case would make a horrible sound like you are explaining while driving. As soon as we replaced the T Case the sound went away.

It could also be a bearing inside the transmission like everyone else is stating but figured I would share my experience.

6. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    When my end nut was/came loose my trans would pop out of 5th gear. It ended up damaging the end housing so I had to find a good used one (1990 are different) then order up the replacment parts like 5th syncro, 3 syncro keys, 2 retaining springs, 1 wave spring and the reverse syncro (which was refered to above as 5th gear syncro) and 2 new end nuts. The 5th gear syncro wont come out unless you remove 5th gear from the mainshaft, but the poster is right to make sure the wave spring goes back in correctly and was talking about the reverse syncro being in place also. Not a hard job, but yours, with it popping out of 1st sounds deeper than my fix. Just filling in some details since I went through this on my car.

Street Build 5K  29

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

2K  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

889  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 6K  14  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  7. 92GVR4SC

92GVR4SC Proven Member

Joined May 17, 2006
    Cayce, South Carolina
    Thanks for the correction, its been many years since I had my 95 gsx. It was just one place to look for the problem.

862  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    automatic · Galant VR-4