The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

96 gsx 5 spd trans questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianC

Probationary Member
Apr 15, 2013
Saginaw, Michigan
around 40mph and up i can hear the transmission straight down from my shifter sounds like something spinning. anyone have an idea what it could be?
i know i shouldnt but when i move the stick ( apply pressure forward) while in gear the pitch changes.

Make sure the big 22 mm nut is tight (under the end cover). Can remove cover, and tighten while transmission is still in the car. Worst case, you may have a end bearing going bad on the one of the main shafts. You can see this when you remove the end cover, assuming it's the bearing on that end of the transmission?? Make sure the round wavy spring and 5th gear syncro are in place when you put the cover back on. I would use some vasoline or trans assembly grease to hold it in place as you put the cover back on. However if you feel there is some major issue going on inside the transmission, then just pull it out.

Had the same issue in my 98 gst and neglected it for about 2 weeks. Was on the way to the shop to pull the trans and it came apart on me. Cause if the problem was a main shaft bearing. Not saying this is your problem or that it's going to happen to you just sharing my info.

You are gonna have to pull it, sorry but the longer you wait the more damage could occur. Our you can try and take a video with good audio. Does it sound different on coast down/decel then accel? Does it matter what gear your in at 40, like does 5th sound different then, 3rd or 4th?

Could also be your transfer case. Have you checked the fluid in the tcase? Have you pulled it and checked for grinding or sounds when spinning the t case? My buddy had a 97 gsx (before i had mine) and the t case would make a horrible sound like you are explaining while driving. As soon as we replaced the T Case the sound went away.

It could also be a bearing inside the transmission like everyone else is stating but figured I would share my experience.

When my end nut was/came loose my trans would pop out of 5th gear. It ended up damaging the end housing so I had to find a good used one (1990 are different) then order up the replacment parts like 5th syncro, 3 syncro keys, 2 retaining springs, 1 wave spring and the reverse syncro (which was refered to above as 5th gear syncro) and 2 new end nuts. The 5th gear syncro wont come out unless you remove 5th gear from the mainshaft, but the poster is right to make sure the wave spring goes back in correctly and was talking about the reverse syncro being in place also. Not a hard job, but yours, with it popping out of 1st sounds deeper than my fix. Just filling in some details since I went through this on my car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back