The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

95-96 T-case on 97-99 Trans... Is it possible with a Welded center diff and/or VCE?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Alright, I know that 95-96 transmissions and t-cases have a different gear ratio then 97-99 transmissions and t-cases. If you use the wrong t-case with a transmission, you will burn up the viscous coupling. My question is, if you have a VCE, or welded center diff, or even both, would you be able to mix the t-cases and transmissions?

No . The trans have different final drive ratios. I dont think the car would drive well if at all ??

the ring and pinion in the transaxle are made to match the t-case. the 97-99 are different then the 95-96. I think the 1gs are the same as the 95-96. (all manuals)

I had a 2g tranny with no matching tcase. I put it in my 90, so i used the ring and pinion from the 90 tranny to match the 90 tcase.

I bought a 97 2g with a tranny from a 95-96. It did not match the tcase from the 97. I used the front ring and pinion from the 99 tranny to match it.

All 93-99 awd's have a matching rear diff ration. Maybe the 90-92 do too.

when comparing all the front gear ratios, they are all the same, as long as the tcases match the ring and pinioin, otherwise, they are off slightly.

the ring and pinion in the transaxle are made to match the t-case
What are you referring to as a "transaxle"? The only ring and pinion gears are in the rear diff.
I had a 2g tranny with no matching tcase. I put it in my 90, so i used the ring and pinion from the 90 tranny to match the 90 tcase.
The '90 models had a different spline count on the x-fer case/output shaft, that's why you had to match '90 to '90 trans/x-fer case, but the gear ratios are the same as all the other manual trans cars.
I bought a 97 2g with a tranny from a 95-96. It did not match the tcase from the 97. I used the front ring and pinion from the 99 tranny to match it.
What do you mean 'did not match'? What front ring and pinion? Do you mean the front differential that's in the transmission?
All 93-99 awd's have a matching rear diff ration. Maybe the 90-92 do too.
ALL 1G and 2G AWD MANUAL T/E/L cars have the same front, center, x-fer case, and rear GEAR RATIOS. Read this again Tranny gear ratios for DSMs
when comparing all the front gear ratios, they are all the same, as long as the tcases match the ring and pinioin, otherwise, they are off slightly.
I don't know what this means. :confused: If all the front gear ratios are the same the rest of it needs to be, too. It's AWD, and all the wheels must be driven at the same speeds. They can't be off "slightly". The only way to mismatch gear ratios is to mix manual stuff with automatic stuff, or mix in Galant VR4 parts.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

do you know what a transaxle is?

do you know what the transfer case is?

All differencials have crown and pinion gears. So does the transfercase.

the spline count can be changed by changing the output shaft on the transmission.

how are gear ratios calculated?

check the secondary ratio and the tcase ratio on both the 1g awd mt and the 2g awd mt.
I think the 2g ratio on that page is for the 97-99. the 95-96 is the same as the 1g.

I ran this way no problem with my old tranny, but the one I have now has a welded center diff. The rear diff was actually boiling and way too hot to touch in 10 miles, I couldn't really push the car at all by hand, and I could feel the rear tires 'spinning'. I just got a transfercase from a junkyard, it came out of a 94. From what I've seen online, the splines are the same from 91-99. Except maybe for some 91s, and those that had a 90 t-case and output shaft installed at some time. You will need a t-case from a 96 or older car for this to work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back