The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

9 second drag radial DD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTSI

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2003
Wilmington, North_Carolina
Well we have been playing with the car we used to call the pump gas car a lot lately. Its Jason's 92 AWD auto, basic setup is as follows

2.3L Wiseco/manley
BC 272/280s
Crower springs and retainers
Hughes stall
SBR intake manifold
SBR FMIC
DSMlink/MAF-T
Stock trans with welded diff and custom shift control
1150 cc injectors
Eibach/KYBs
DSS stg 3 rear axles
DSS 3" aluminium driveshaft
DNP t4 manifold
38mm gate
3"exhaust
DBB T67
bosch 440 inline and wabro 255hp intank
Kenn Bell boost a pump
Rota Slip streams with Nitto 555Rs
NOS 50 shot shuts off at 5k (is on only at the line)
Only things removed from car are the ac when it stopped working and the crash bumpers, It also has a amp and sub in the back and is a driver.

Car is on 118 octane 38PSI and as listed above Drag radials. Car is more than capable of 9s on biased plies but he wanted to run 9s on radials. Well he did it so I figured I would throw up a video. This trip the car made 5 passes 4 in the low 10s due to crap 60's then the 9.9. Like I said on biased plies its a 9 second car all day long but on radials after breaking a DSS axle due to wheel hop he is a little gun shy to launch it. The car has cut a 1.47 on radials but until he stops worrying about breaking we have to settle with 1.5s .

Here is the vid

YouTube - Street car

BTW did I mention we drove it 80 miles to the track and then 80 miles home? Who says there is no more fast with class in DSMs

Congrats again man

I need to go 40 minutes east and see your cars.

Do you guys plan to experiment or have any ideas on how to eliminate wheel hop using drag radials? Or are you going to just switch to a byply tire?

It has the chip in it but Jason is still shifting it himself the tcu is turned of at the track.

Do you guys plan to experiment or have any ideas on how to eliminate wheel hop using drag radials? Or are you going to just switch to a byply tire?

I would think a taller/softer tire with stiffer suspension might help some. But I'm interested to hear John's thoughts on the subject too. Seeing this is making me half tempted to make a pass on my radials just to see what happens.. haha

It has the chip in it but Jason is still shifting it himself the tcu is turned of at the track.

Ah ok. Chip still working good for the street? I guess you guys got over the fear of 4th gear huh?

No he is still in 3rd going through the traps. He always shifts it manually when running it hard, I will let him chime in.

So you guys are running a pretty tall radial on there then? Seems like that converter is the shit too. On my 26" Hoosiers with 15 PSI in them I'm crossing the traps at 8000 RPM going 133mph.

I would think a taller/softer tire with stiffer suspension might help some. But I'm interested to hear John's thoughts on the subject too. Seeing this is making me half tempted to make a pass on my radials just to see what happens..

Yeah, I was thinking this also. The softest radial you can buy if i'm not mistaken is Mickey Thompsons. I'm running the 235/60/15s. I have 2, and i'm waiting for the other 2 to come off backorder. If you want to try them out when they come in, your welcome to.

Yeah, I was thinking this also. The softest radial you can buy if i'm not mistaken is Mickey Thompsons. I'm running the 235/60/15s. I have 2, and i'm waiting for the other 2 to come off backorder. If you want to try them out when they come in, your welcome to.

I have read that Hoosiers drag radial has the softest sidewall & they are nylon belted instead of steel but don't know how true this is. I do have a set of the Hoosier's & the sidewall does seem very soft for a radial tire but don't have any experience with the MT to compare.

The mickey thompson et streets (not to be confused with the et street radials) turn into wrinkle walls at a certain pressure. I think they have a good chance of having the softest sidewall.

I have read that Hoosiers drag radial has the softest sidewall & they are nylon belted instead of steel but don't know how true this is. I do have a set of the Hoosier's & the sidewall does seem very soft for a radial tire but don't have any experience with the MT to compare.

I think you may be right. The only problem is that the only size hoosier radials that will fit a DSM are 255/50/16, which are fine, but they dont fit within the rules for the class I want to run. They would be my first choice though if I was just building a fun street car like Jasons car.

The mickey thompson et streets (not to be confused with the et street radials) turn into wrinkle walls at a certain pressure. I think they have a good chance of having the softest sidewall.

True, but the MT ET DOT streets are not radials. I think that would defy the whole point of what they are doing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back