The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 7 bolt engine swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krygods

Proven Member
Mar 2, 2016
lakewood, California
I have an engine from a '98 that I want to put into my 95 GSX.

I noticed the motor from the '98 has what looks like a cam angle sensor on the intake cam?

My question is what do I need to do in order for the '98 motor to work with my '95 GSX?

I failed to find the correct search terms to find anything with the search function.

Here's pictures of the what happened to the engine I'm replacing.

Cracked piston is cylinder #2 and the spun rod bearing is cylinder #3.

I did a compression test before the spun rod bearing and cylinder #2 was 30 psi lower but after adding a cap of oil was the same as all the others so I suspected worn rings but, I guess it was a cracked piston! No noticeable damage to the cylinder wall but, I haven't measured it yet.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a 98 eclipse N/A, trying to find out what I should do with the car. The motor seized. Still owe a small loan on it. Any ideas, should I do a rebuild kit? Thoughts? Thanks!

Frank

I say just rebuild or replace the engine. If you still have a loan on the car, I think it'd be in the best interest to continue using the car, so that the loan doesn't become just a burden on credit. Good luck.

I second that replace that engine with either another rebuilt or used one and keep the old one as as pare for rebuild or parts

Here's pictures of the what happened to the engine I'm replacing.

Cracked piston is cylinder #2 and the spun rod bearing is cylinder #3.

I did a compression test before the spun rod bearing and cylinder #2 was 30 psi lower but after adding a cap of oil was the same as all the others so I suspected worn rings but, I guess it was a cracked piston! No noticeable damage to the cylinder wall but, I haven't measured it yet.

i say rebuild it and make it stronger and break it in on a lesser turbo then when u r ready upgrade the horsepower

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back