The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 6 Bolt Timing : Check my Work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mham2k

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Hey folks i just finished the timing portion of 6 bolt going into a 2g. I dont want any bent valves so please tell me if you see anything in the video or pictures that i did wrong.

This is after i turned it 6 times and waited 15 minutes.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also make sure you have the proper tensioner-body-to-arm clearance, you're eccentric pulley looks pretty far cranked, but I can't get a good look at your tensioner body or arm.

.15"-.18" clearance between them, use an appropriate sized drill bit to check. Just did this myself and a .1545" had some slight clearance, but a .175" wouldn't fit, so I deemed it good.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

Follow this and you're good.

you don't have to worry about the oil pump sprog, hope you took the oil pump shaft out when you did your delete?

Also make sure you have the proper tensioner-body-to-arm clearance, you're eccentric pulley looks pretty far cranked, but I can't get a good look at your tensioner body or arm.

.15"-.18" clearance between them, use an appropriate sized drill bit to check. Just did this myself and a .1545" had some slight clearance, but a .175" wouldn't fit, so I deemed it good.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

Follow this and you're good.

Ok so i'm a little confused here, based on the vfaq, i should check the top of the auto-tensioner where the little metal hydraulic piece comes out to the place on the arm where the hydraulic piece touches? There is room but i can't stick anything in there, if i let it come out more the pin won't go in...

Which is more important, the pin or that spacing?

I found a good picture, this is what i'm talking about, I don't think i have this spacing but i can pull the pin in and out no problem? Do I need to buy another auto-tensioner?

Last edited:
Once you've done the eccentric tensioner, pulled the pin and rotated the engine 6 times, you let the engine rest for 15 min. After that time, you check the space between the hyd. tensioner body and the tensioner arm for the proper clearance as described.

The pin will probably not slide in and out perfectly at this point, which is normal as the tensioner will move some. IMHO this clearance measurement is more important as it ensures the tensioner isn't over-travelling or compressed too far.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back