The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

5857 smoking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigerhorns

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2010
Aiken, South_Carolina
I have a journal bearing PTE 5857 with a mitsuflange. My car is not smoking out of the exhaust its smoking after i get down on it, and stop "seeing smoke comming from the around the return line. put it on the lift seen oil on the hotside, and its dripping down on my front motor mount. Was wondering if anyone has exsperienced this, or may be able to help me out? I don't have a 100% straight feed line, and was told it may be choking up pushing oil out?

Just looking for some other opinions before i send it back to PTE

Where are you running the feed from and what do you mean by not a 100% straight feed line??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a PTE 5557 and have had similar issues.

1. Check the oil feed fitting, and make sure it's the right size, and not weeping. If it is, it can spray oil everywhere, which will eventually make its way to the exhaust, and start burning oil after a hard pull.

2. Odds are you have a custom return line, as that's all that will fit.

Check each individual fitting and make sure that it's not leaking. Make sure the two aluminum fittings that bolt to the turbo and oil pan ARE NOT WARPED. I fought a lot of leaks because of this. You can lap the two pieces using a piece of pane glass (which is flat by default) and some sandpaper. Run it in a clockwise motion for a few seconds and check the seating area. If the whole thing has sanding marks, it's straight. If not, keep repeating until the marks are throughout the piece. Use a genuine Mitsu gasket on the oil pan, as they seem to leak the least. Teflon tape on the bolt threads and copper crush washers should also help. Use RTV if necessary. This can also hit the exhaust if it leaks enough.

QUOTE: Where are you running the feed from and what do you mean by not a 100% straight feed line??

Also, This ^^^

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Either the drain is kinked or you have too much crankcase pressure and the turbo can't drain. If you send it back to PTE, they're going to make you pay for it as this type of failure is the fault of the installer and not the builder.

On a 1G if you didn't cut the roll stop mount then there's no possible way you can route the drain straight enough. You're shooting for something like this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Use RTV if necessary.
NEVER use RTV on an oil drain. Permatex High-Tack or Copper Gasket Spray are the only acceptable types of sealants.

I've been using the Petmatex high temp in the red tube. Is that what you're referring to? Should I use copper spray instead?

Matt

jusmx141 mine isnt as short as yours my buddy told me i need to get another 45 -an fitting looks like your doing what he said. Thanks for the picture that may be my whole problem.

Btw feed is from the OFH

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back