The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

4G63T horsepower max?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90EagleFTW

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2010
La Crosse, Wisconsin
What is the maximum AWD horsepower/Torque that a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 4G63T can hold without coming apart? My one friend told me 250awhp is the max and that I don't want to push more than that. Is he saying that so I don't beat him or is he trying to help me save my motor?

With good supporting mods and tuning some have seen over 500whp on stock block 6bolts. Do a search for dyno nubers, you might be surprised.

Yeah your friend is either dumb or just doesn't want you out running him. You can push about 350 on pump gas maybe more if your consider an water/meth injection kit all day long.

450-500 is doable with a good tune, race gas, and a bigger budget. But at that point you would probably want to consider a forged rotating assembly because the stock rods are gonna start to fail between 450-and 500. Pistons melting is not a good thing either and if your crank needs to be turned for a rebuild anything that high is just asking for a broken crank.

My friend did 505 with a tune from Lucas English with a stock 6 bolt.

Your friend apparently doesn't know how tough the 6-bolt 4g63t is, or he is hosing you so he can stomp you. To quote DSM Wiseman Spooled U 1st "Depending on tune and overall condition of the engine it varies as to how much power you can make, but you can expect a max somewhere in the 450hp range." I have heard stories of members who run 450+hp DD on stock internals, but there's no garuntee your car could actually maintain that; it really depends on how well it was cared for over it's life.

As always with DSMs and any car for that matter, maintenance is the first step to longevity and a good tune will do wonders for keeping your engine in one piece. Personally I'm aiming for about 300awhp for my '98 which I feel is a easily reached, fairly safe, and typical goal in the DSM world.

Melbowski

Yeah I am looking for about 300-350 FWHP in my car. Also looking to tune on E85 as its a bit cheaper than Premium Unleaded. Quick spool is also one of my biggest goals. I want the turbo spooled by about 2200 rpm.

Thanks for the info guys!!!
And yea my motor is a stock 6 bolt. Im new to dsms but I had a feeling that they were stronger than he was saying. Im pumped that there that strong, I understand that a tune and maintanance goes a long way, My first thing Im going to do is go through the whole car and fix all problems and change all fluids, filters, and spark plugs etc.

Somewhere in the 28psi range? On what? Did you just make that number up?

Not true about replacing every stock fuel and air part on the car either. Don't just start saying "replace this and that" before you really know what he needs.

I've seen many 4g's right at the 500whp level with stock 6 bolts in them. A good tune will go a long way. IMO the motor will be able to handle anything you'll be able to throw at it for a while, if you do it correctly and it's in good shape.

I am pushing about 240 hp... and it's plenty quick for me. I've only got the boost dialed in to about 16 psi. I turned it up a bit last night, and blew my intercooler piping apart. It was an easy fix, but i got lucky. These cars come stock 205-220 depending on the year. Other than the stock 2g BOV, the only other main problem i see is the intercooler piping breaking. So if you're going to try for the 450 hp+... make sure you do it right!

To get to 400 hp you're going to have to be pushing around 28 psi boost... maybe less if you've got it tuned right... but not much less. Everything having to deal with fuel and air will have to be replaced. This basically leaves the engine and transmission the only stock parts on the car...

So if you're asking how many hp the 4g63 can handle... I would say somewhere around 800 hp...

But that is in the perfect scenario with a brand new motor not being actually mounted, but instead being tested in a lab.

Realistically, 300 hp isn't hard to achieve and if you've got the AWD, then you'll be hangin with the Corvettes and 944's.

Somewhere in the 28psi range? On what? Did you just make that number up?
Indeed. Things like tha are begging for a minsinformation infraction. PSI is ONLY relevant with supporting factors being the same. I can promise that 28psi on my lil snail is different than 28psi on a teeny little T2small.

CFM, lb/min...measures that matter. "PSI" is AutoZone Honda-kid talk.

Sorry for my last post. I had a buddy over at my place last night, we were drinking beers, and I was browsing the forums. He just called me and said that when I was taking a leak, he posted something under my name. He thought it would be useful. He's full of shit. He doesn't own a DSM, and I don't even think he has a license to drive. I've never known him to own a car or know how to do any work on them.

In fact, the only thing he was right about, was my 240 hp, and the fact that I blew my intercooler piping apart the other day... But that was due to a loose clamp on a coupler.

So once again, I apologize.
-------------------------------------------
Now for my input. As long as you do your upgrades correctly, you can realistically see 350-400 hp. If you're a badass and know your shit... 500 hp. I wouldn't really try for anything higher. However I have seen people on this site claiming they're pushing more. I think 635 hp was the highest claim I've seen. But I haven't seen any dyno sheets to back him up. I'm not saying it is or isn't possible, I'm just saying it's not a realistic goal.

So I guess the lesson to be learned here is that we both need to stop listening to our dumb friends... haha.

Good Luck Man.

So I guess the lesson to be learned here is that we both need to stop listening to our dumb friends... haha.

Good Luck Man.

Thanks man, that is SO TRUE about listening to our dumb friends!!! :D

It'll hold well over a thousand. That's been proven... it's just everything attached to it that can't. If you look at the cars running 9's or lower, they are extremely reinforced motors with forged everything and bolts inside that God himself couldn't break that hold the soon-to-be-scrap-metal parts together... and a magical force field of money that allows the motors to rebuilt nearly every time they are run.

450 got to read man.and 4g63 r juck but fun y I have but 350 what I'm at no problem I had 400 out of my gst did not take long and blow it. Good luck

Looks as if you need a new tech to work on your car if you blew at 400 or stop doing it yourself. With the way you type i can only imagine what you do to your car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back