The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

4g63 No Spark / Electrical issue..lot's of testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostBuddyGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 7, 2009
Central, New_Jersey
Just completed 2ga 7bolt engine swap into a 2gb GST, and tried to crank the engine over. The first issue of the day is that the starter signal wire never got 12v at the clip, so after testing the starter relay and ignition switch, I concluded that they are not the issue. But, to go further and see if the engine would start otherwise, I ran a fused jumper to the signal input pin for the starter, and used that manually to crank the engine. So the engine does so without issue, except it won't stay running.

This brings us to the main issue of the day...NO SPARK. The fuel pump primes every time, but there is no ignition pulse going into the coil pack connector, although constant 12v is present there. I have tried a stock '97 ECU, just to see if that solves the problem of the starter signal wire and the ignition issue, but it did not, and it certainly wouldn't run the car because of the fact that this is a 2gb harness with a 2ga engine (cam sensor inversion). Both of my working 95 ECU's didn't start the car either (eprom chipped via DSMlink). The crank sensor connector has 12v, 5v, and ground reading correctly when disconnected and 12v, 9-10v, and ground when connected and igntion key to "ON". When cranking manually, the 9-10v on one pin becomes around 8.3v, but the multi-meter doesn't quite register a pulse (not sure if it would even show up). In terms of cam sensor wiring, I soldered in the red wire to red, blue to blue, and black to black and it's clean and routed nicely. I have not tapped into it for a voltage check though. Is this issue likely tied to the CAS or the wiring of it? The coil pack and power transistor are okay, and I even tried others laying around. All of them, including the plugs and wires are fine, or even brand new. But that doesn't even matter since there is no ignition pulse coming into the connector at the coil pack.

Some quick background on the engine is that it has been driven for 100 miles since a rebuild (with beefed up internals, etc), but on a '95 shell that developed severe electrical issues throughout. We were not expecting any issues with this '97 shell, because of its condition and the fact that the previous owner just had a running engine/trans in it 2 weeks ago.

I may have left a few things out, but please do not post if you haven't read through the post. I do not want to hear stuff like it's the starter, fuel pump, crank walk, coil pack, etc.

I appreciate any and all helpful advice/expertise.

I know that it won't be of much help, but I think I'm having similar problems. I recently saw smoke coming from my CPS, and found that the wiring was all jacked up. I have four wires leading to the CPS though, and I don't know what any of them do... so I'll subscribe in hopes that we find a resolution!

I am having the same problem on a 1999 mitsubishi spyder gst with no pulse going to the coil packs. Originally i had spark at the 2 and 3 coil but now I don't have spark or a pulse on either coils. I also replaced a bad crank sensor and replaced the cam sensor after words when it was only getting spark at 2 cylinders. I am wondering if there is a connection that is between the transistor and coil pack that could be at fault. I'll be sure to post a response if I can figure out what is wrong with the car I have as it seems we have the same problem.

98 spyder gs-t with negative trigger pulses reaching the coil packs but no spark. Any of you guys ever reach a resolution?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back