The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420a timing belt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted galant

Probationary Member
Mar 7, 2004
norfolk, Virginia
im thinking about buying my freinds non turbo talon with a 420a motor. the t-belt has snaped, will this motor bend the valves?

boosted galant said:
im thinking about buying my freinds non turbo talon with a 420a motor. the t-belt has snaped, will this motor bend the valves?

420As are interference engines just like 4g63s. Sometimes you get lucky and there's no damage (I have seen it happen at 70mph and not a single dinged or dented anything), but more often than not, at least a couple valves get mashed. :shrug Is he telling you there's no damage? How does he know?

he doesnt know, all he knows is the timing belt snapped, but he is selling the car for really cheap so i was cosidering buying it to fix up. a timing belt is alot less work than pulling the head, but since i will probably have to i dunno know

I can bring you a head ready to install for $250.00 if you want to buy the car and not run that head. It IS interferance and chances are great that the valves are bent. PM me if you want more info.
Doug

How much does he want for the car? If nothing else, you could use it as a parts car. Strip it and sell off what you don't need man. A used block and head will fetch you a decent little piece of change. Not to mention fenders, lights, center console with armrest, cruise, etc.. Buddy and I bought a 95 ESi with major electrical problems for $450 last summer. We've more than made our investment back. I got a new bottom end to rebuild, he got my old one, then there's rear disc brakes and all that to think about. If the cost is low enough, you should really look into it. If nothing else, buy it and this do0d's head, then turn around and sell it for more than you invest. Make a couple bones imo.

he only wants $500 for the car, 140k on it and he says its in good condition, 5spd too. i think im gonna go look at it tonight. has any one seen one put holes in the pistons from a t-belt snapping? i saw an engine do this not to long ago when a co-worker somehow got the timing wrong when he put the timing chain on a 2.4 cavalier

well looks like im gonna get it, belt it is definitly broken, i guess im gonna look down the spark plug holes and see if i can see valve contact on the pistons. if there is none ima put a belt on it and try to fire it up. if that doesnt work then i guess the head is coming off

If there's alot of carbon on the tops of the piston then you may not be able to tell. Carbon variations on top of the piston will make it hard to see a very small divot about the size of a pinky finger nail clipping. I wish you the best but I don't think you'll be able to save it. Do a compression check after you install it on there too. If it stays running, do a couple of compression checks over about a 2 week period. If the valves are only slightly bent then it may take a while for them to burn and leak worse.
Doug

boosted galant said:
well looks like im gonna get it, belt it is definitly broken, i guess im gonna look down the spark plug holes and see if i can see valve contact on the pistons. if there is none ima put a belt on it and try to fire it up. if that doesnt work then i guess the head is coming off

Unless you have a good fibre optic snake or something similar, looking into the spark plug holes will yield little if any information bro. Best way is to yank the head.

and that is what i used to look in there, yeah working at a shop is great. well it looks like im gonna be pullin the head. ive put a couple on 4g63/64 motors before but never done one on a 420a, is there any tricks/hints or things to watch out for that you guys could tell me? thanks

I had my timing belt slip off during a burnout and the motor just died, we put it back on and it fired right up. still runs like a champ, with 190xxx. 97 Eagle Talon Esi

i had a huge accident on mine and in 2nd gear @ 4000-5000 rpm we crashed to a wall and the engine slamed against the engine bay side with the cam gears and the timing belt got snaped, I removed the head (just in case) and everithing was just fine... :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back