The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A out of a neon fit my car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

750_sport

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2005
Sacramento, California
will the 420A out of a 2000 neon work as a direct replacement for a 420a in the 99 eclipse?

I have a chance to buy one cheap.

ok man some one posted the exact thing on a name i used to have about 10 min ago. They said that they are pratically the same engines. So im guesing you can take the neon engine and put it in your 99 eclipse. tell me how it goes if you do :dsm:

i am sure you alrteady know this but a neon is NOT a 420a it is as 4a20 the heads are backwards hope this helps :thumb:

dsm na tuner said:
it is as 4a20
Wha...?

Look at your engine. Then look at this other engine. If it looks just like yours, then you might be able to use the block. I'm not sure if the 2G Neons have the same engine as the 1Gs. If it is, in fact, the 420A, then you can use the block, but you won't be able to use the head. They have intake in the front and exhaust at the rear. Would make for an interesting intake system - having a filter on your muffler tip. :p

I have a 420a and it had a broken connecting rod and i couldnt find a motor anywhere besides the dodge neon. I bought the block (4a20) from the sohc 2.0L out of a dodge neon. And i bolt the mounts to my block and and it went right in but i used my head and tranny and everything bolted up perfect.

Just posted minutes before you: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/394535-can-i-put-dodge-neon-2-0-my-eclipse-420a-we.html.

This information has been covered many times so there is info out there if you look around it shouldn't be to hard to find answers to your questions.

i am sure you alrteady know this but a neon is NOT a 420a it is as 4a20 the heads are backwards hope this helps :thumb:

I don't know where your coming up with this 4a20 engine code name because I've never seen that engine code ever before and I was in the 420a game much longer than I've been in the 4g63 game. After a search of neons.org there are no threads ever containing "4a20" the most likely place I would think the engine code would have been mentioned.

I dont think it would maybe if you change things around but i agree what most people said.

And on to of it you dont want to go around saying i swapped my engine......out of a neon LOL you might as well take the neon and go with that if you wanna do that or go to the 4g63 but you rarely find 420a out there. so just boost it :D

Uhh... I'm not sure what's going on in this thread.

The engine in the 2000 Neon is the SOHC A588, so it's won't fit in your ECC DOHC Eclipse or Talon -- case closed.

And on to of it you dont want to go around saying i swapped my engine......out of a neon LOL you might as well take the neon and go with that if you wanna do that or go to the 4g63 but you rarely find 420a out there. so just boost it :D

:barf: Sorry this advice in this thread is horrible excluding VelocitàPaola short, however, accurate statement. Evidently home fry above doesn't know that a 4g63 isn't a valid option for a 420a platform and he doesn't know that a 95 to 99 neon block is virtually the same as the n/t eclipse block. But hell at least he wants you to boost it... so yeah back on track 95 to 99 neon is what you are looking for no/little mods needed and can't use the head just the short block.

that is true you can find them in a sebring/stratus i dont know if its the same wayi really havent checked

so is it possible to fit a 96 talon 420a engine into a 99 eclipse n/t?

so is it possible to fit a 96 talon 420a engine into a 99 eclipse n/t?

Yes the block is the same there are little differences between the talon and eclipse (the biggest being the hatch and back bumper) but most of it is cosmetic. When it comes down to it the 2.0L 420A block is just that... a 2.0L 420A and it will work. 2gnt.com has some great wiki stuff on the nt you should take a look.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back