The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420a cam

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brassc2007

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 31, 2008
mason city, Iowa
ok i searched and tried to find some info on this but to no prevail so now im going to throw the question out and see if anyone else has done any research on this crazy topic.

Ok my buddy has a nissan 240sx and we were talking the other day bout the normal topic of me trying to get him to do the rb25det swap and him wanting to keep his motor anyways lost cause of discussion there. LOL.
well when we were talking he brought up the topic of being able to change out his stock intake cam for a stock exhaust cam in its place and see some gains. This got me thinking and i have not read anywhere about a potential of this on a 420a at all as a cheaper mod. I was wondering if anyone else has thought of anything like this and if it is even possible, as im not sure of the durations or anything on the stock cams at this point. Please dont bash me im just throwing this out as a topic of discussion and maybe an idea that will lead to more.

Ok so i finally found the stock cam specs for the 420a they are
Advertised duration--219/221
Duration @.50--------166/172
Gross lift w/1.75-----.273/.323

so the question remains will swapping out the intake cam with the duration of 219 and a gross lift of .273 and swapping in a exhaust cam with the duration of 221 and the lift of .323 be beneficial for a small horse power gain or would it be a waste of time and effort

Ok so i finally found the stock cam specs for the 420a they are
Advertised duration--219/221
Duration @.50--------166/172
Gross lift w/1.75-----.273/.323

so the question remains will swapping out the intake cam with the duration of 219 and a gross lift of .273 and swapping in a exhaust cam with the duration of 221 and the lift of .323 be beneficial for a small horse power gain or would it be a waste of time and effort

Cam position sensor is on the intake cam right? would have to drill and tap the stock exhaust cam to use as intake.

EDIT I WAS INCORRECT IN ASSUMING THE SENSOR WAS ON INTAKE.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back