1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G 3g brake booster

Posted by DSM_GSX01, Feb 24, 2019

Please Support Ace Race Parts
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. DSM_GSX01

DSM_GSX01 Proven Member

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    La Junta, Colorado
    Want to make sure I'm getting right stuff before I order. My ca is a 95 gsx with no abs. I want to get a 3g brake booster and master cylinder. Not sure if it has to be non abs also. I thought it would but want your input. Looked here also. Thank you

Drag Race Build 854  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Vdubzr32

Vdubzr32 Proven Member

Joined Nov 16, 2012
    Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey

Street Build 2K  11

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  3. llxkevinxll

llxkevinxll Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The key takeaway from that link is to be sure you need to swap to the 3G booster and master. Before going through the trouble to modify your lines to make it work. It was not a drop in for my non abs car but I honestly can't remember what was done to make it work. What calipers do you intend to run?

Autocross Build 2K  4

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.06 @ 105.75 · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. tunedbysaturnsl

tunedbysaturnsl Proven Member

Joined Jan 27, 2010
    Newport News, Virginia
    I did this on my 97 GST. I have Evo Brembos all around. The 3g booster was a pain in the ass to get in.

Space is very, very tight. Prepare a slew of choice cuss words ahead of time, you’ll need them. It’ll go in though, I promise.

As for the lines going from the master cylinder to the prop valve, you’ll need to switch them since the flare ends are different between 2g and 3g. While some people have said that they have no leaks using the 2g flaring, is it really worth your life potentially saving a couple bucks? Brakes aren’t something I’d skip on.

It’s been said to get a non abs if you have a non abs car so, stick with that. I think it has something to do with rod length. Not sure, but that’s what I did. Zero problems here. I tossed on some stainless steel flex lines while I was at it.

636  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    212.4 whp · 212.4 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  5. Lambiablo

Lambiablo Proven Member

Joined Apr 8, 2008
    Elon, North Carolina
    ^tunedbysaturnsl basically covered it. I also replaced the master and booster with 3G parts (over a year ago) and the booster BARELY fits. I had to pass it under the intake manifold from the battery side of the engine bay with some amount of cussing to get it over to the drivers side. Also scuffed up my recently painted engine bay a bit... sigh... I purchased a kit from STM (if remembering correctly) that contained lines and fittings.

302  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    000.0 whp · 000.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  6. ceedawg

ceedawg Supporting Member

Joined Jun 2, 2004
    laurelton, New York
    If I had to do it again I would just change the Master cylinder to a 3G/2K plus Galant first using the stock brake booster and see how it works. I am still under the belief that just the MC with the stock 2g BB and Evo brakes will work fine. It has been done.

ceedawg

2K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    I still have the Evo's with the stock booster and master cylinder and they arent much to write home about, while I have the intake off, I might swap the master and see how that works.

Drag Race Build 2K  14

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. llxkevinxll

llxkevinxll Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I run the the 3g master and booster with 3KGT VR4 calipers up front and Evo 8s in the rear. The pedal is pretty touchy. Modulation is hard as the zone between no brakes and full on locking up is pretty short. That may be a function of the calipers or pads instead of the 3g brake components but I'd start with the master cylinder first and feel it out.

Autocross Build 2K  4

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.06 @ 105.75 · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. DSM_GSX01

DSM_GSX01 Proven Member

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    La Junta, Colorado
    Have a question I got a 3g brake booster and master at junk yard and it has a different end on it. I was wondering if anyone had this problem as well I looked at 5 or so cars they were the same. The one of the fitting cut off is the fitting I got on 3g. The second is one in the eclipse.

Attached Files:

Drag Race Build 854  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    The 3g master has different flares for it's ports, I believe it has single or "bubble" flares, whole dsms have double or "inverted" flares. You will have to redo the line ends with the proper flares to do the swap, or risk a leaking brake system.

Street Build 500  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 744  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    There is probably an adapter or you could make one.

Drag Race Build 2K  14

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM