The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Transmission Alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelv

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2006
Columbus, Georgia
Hello,
Okay, I searched some threads, and I can only post or reply here so, here I go.

I just did a motor and trans swap.
My trans is not in alignment with the block upon install. The dowel pins are in line, but the front nor the rear are in. the tranny will just not seat, or "click" in..... The tranny itself seems just out of alignment, when you step back and look at it.
I was able to bolt all mounts, cross member, and all three bolts on the tranny to block. (not exactly easy) The dust cover on the bell housing is off, and the alignment it off. I spun the crank, JUST A TINY TINY BIT to see if i was engaged....the output shaft to the transfer case does move, so the spline is on....Im worried the clutch will not engage, or something drastic is going to happen.
Help me out here, what do i have to do....start over....i tried everything....i tried to pry it in, tried to level out the trans jack, tried to work it on easy, hell i even tried to kick it into place.
Ive been on this damn thing for three whole days, and im losing my patience, actually im losing my mind. :(

My last resort....i bolted up the transfer case, and the drive shaft, and I can even see that it's off line, the most forward section of the drive shaft is off. Everything mounted on easy, and the shaft splined into the transfer case, but when I look at it, it's off as the transmission is. What is the worst that will happen? Will the clutch just not engage, and I will not be able to go anywhere, or will I cause severe damge to the flywheel assembly/clutch/engine/transmission?

HELP!!:(

Are you certain that you have an AWD flywheel and not an FWD flywheel on there? I ask because you mentioned a motor swap. The FWD flywheel wont clear the output shaft for the t-case, and wont let the tranny fit all the way on.

Are you certain that you have an AWD flywheel and not an FWD flywheel on there? I ask because you mentioned a motor swap. The FWD flywheel wont clear the output shaft for the t-case, and wont let the tranny fit all the way on.

No, it is an AWD Flywheel. The transfer case output shaft clears, and I am able to mount the transfer case and drive shaft. It is just "crooked" slightly respective to the transmission.

I am concerned that the pilot bearing is not seated or "catching".....The input shaft is splined and everything moves, I'm just concerned that the clutch will not engage. I do not have a lot of experience with transmissions and clutches so I'm not too sure whats going to happen.

Don't forget the fourth bolt which goes through the dowel pin, its small like a 10mm or 12mm head but its grade 10.

There is one for each dowel pin? Front and rear?
I don't remember those from disassembly?

When I had the tranny aligned on the jack, and lifted to mate it the the block, it would not just "click" right in, like it just wasn't mating. I had everything lined up, and disengeged the clutch pivot arm, and tried like heck. I'm out of options here!

Thanks to everyone for your reply, hopefully I can get back on this today with a full head of steam! :thumb:

How would I be able to tell? What position does this shifter arm need to be in.

You'll be able to tell if it's in neutral because it will wiggle around more freely than other positions. The part of the arm closer to the engine (when the transmission is mounted) needs to be in the middle vertically (not towards the top of the tranny and not towards the bottom).

You'll be able to tell if it's in neutral because it will wiggle around more freely than other positions. The part of the arm closer to the engine (when the transmission is mounted) needs to be in the middle vertically (not towards the top of the tranny and not towards the bottom).

Thank you:)

Thanks for the help guys. Got it figured out. Just took a step back, relaxed, then tried again. Put some elbow grease into it, and everything bolted up just fine.

Thanks!:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back