The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Stock Turbo - midrange sputtering

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedinator

Probationary Member
May 12, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
Hi,

This is my 2nd 2G Turbo and it is totally stock. However, I think that the 1st owner of this car was driving it and had the timing belt break.

The car sputters around 3500rpm up to 4500rpm when I've got my foot into it.

I took the spark plugs out and I noticed some witing on the cylindar head that makes me think it came from salvage or a rebuilder. The spark plug boots were incorrect for this head. The boot was missing the top of the plug by 1/8" to 1/4". As a quick-test-fix, I trimmed of the cap of each boot and was able to shove the boot down onto each plug (I'll get new wires ASAP). The engine runs and idols much better. However, I still have the hesitation when I get on it.

I'm going to let Oil Can Henry's replace my fuel filter today.

Looking at my (stock) boost gauge, it seems to climb smoothly and doesn't budge or bounce when the car sputers, so I don't think I'm leaking boost.

The car has 196,000 miles on it - but might have a rebuilt top-end. I bounced it off the rev-limter on accident yesterday and she stayed together :)

Do I really need to look into boost-creep if this car is all stock?

Since this problem is so common, I will also make sure I don't have a boost leak. Has anyone else run into the "too short" spark plug boots? :talon:

My weren't like that, but I did get sputtering when I got on it. I got new plugs and new plug wires and the difference is night and day.

It wasn't that the spark plug boots were too short (previously mentioned). It's the spark plugs were too short. It had a set of of 5/8" socketed plugs. I found the proper plugs that were of the 13/16" socket size - taller as well. The boots snap onto the plug at the proper height. The car pulls strong and doesn't have the sputter. Just perfect.

Best to all

boazli.com

bedinator

By the way: The computer at the autoparts store showed the incorrect 5/8" sockets spark plugs. I had the guy at the store get out the book and it showed the correct plug. Thanks Knechts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back