The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2g koni yellow and eibach question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3ory

Proven Member
Aug 6, 2015
Centralia, Washington
I'm installing new Koni yellows with eibach pro kit springs. I have searched and found a few threads on Koni yellows with GC but not really an install guild with the pro-kit springs.

Anyways, the eibach instructions say to trim 20mm off the bottom of the bump stop. Before I trim, I want to ask on the Fourms. Cutting off the bottom of the bump stop seem's like it would make the bump stop sit a little funny? Any input or advice?

This is on a 97 tsi AWD.

Last edited:
The risk here is that you might have to pull it apart again if you don't cut them and end up hitting the bump stops during normal driving. The requirement to trim the bump stop comes from having the springs that lower the car and still wanting the full suspension travel. There isn't much downside to cutting the bottom of the bumpstops a bit other than that there is less cushioning if you do happen to hit them. I have neither Koni struts nor Eibach springs, but I think you'll be just fine trimming them as you've said. There isn't really a significant downside and you will probably never be able to notice any difference with respect to the bump stop.

Please report back with thoughts once you get back on the road. I am in need of a suspension for mine and I have no idea where to even start on my 2g. I'm slightly jealous of the Miata where I can just buy a coilover and sway bar package from FM and know that it's exactly what I wanted.

Cutting is fine as long as you know the shock will never fully bottom out causing internal damage. I did my front on my BC coilovers but i went and checked this prior to doing so. The springs lower the car more so it needs the extra compression room.

I figured now would be a decent time to start this little project. I took pictures of ground to top of fender-well and also top of the tire to top of the fender-well. I can post those pictures later.

I followed the instructions per Eibach and trimmed off 20mm of the bottom of the Front bump stop. The front bump stops were in really good condition and as far as trimming goes, it went good and the bump stop fit back on just fine and snug, no issues.

However, the rear bump stops are in rough shape, I'm really wanting to replace them. I reviewed a thread on how important the bump stops are and I don't want to risk it. I just Hope I can find some bump stop.... I seen a set that looks similar from Advance Auto Parts. But I will need to do more searching. As you can see in the last picture, the rear bump stop looks bad.

Attachments

• DSC_0027 2.jpg
    DSC_0027 2.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0033 2.jpg
    DSC_0033 2.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0038 2.jpg
    DSC_0038 2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0039 2.jpg
    DSC_0039 2.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0054 2.jpg
    DSC_0054 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 120
Found these bump stops at a local parts store. Not as good as OEM at all. I will be buying some OEM soon to have as back ups. But these should do for now. The car is definitely lower. I have all the numbers I can post up later if anyone is interested in the drop. I have had lower springs in the past and didn't really like them, I wouldn't want to go any lower then this.

Attachments

• DSC_0083 2.jpg
    DSC_0083 2.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0082 2.jpg
    DSC_0082 2.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0084 2.jpg
    DSC_0084 2.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0056 2.jpg
    DSC_0056 2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 136
Found these bump stops at a local parts store. Not as good as OEM at all. I will be buying some OEM soon to have as back ups. But these should do for now. The car is definitely lower. I have all the numbers I can post up later if anyone is interested in the drop. I have had lower springs in the past and didn't really like them, I wouldn't want to go any lower then this.
I'd love some more info! How's it ride? Did you need any other parts (camber kits or anything) to get the car aligned properly after?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back