The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g factory sunroof intall

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95'RS-T

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Germansville, Pennsylvania
OK I've searched for this but never got a correct answer so here's my question will a factory sunroof bolt up to my 95 rs which had a aftermarket sunroof so the hole is already in the roof. I mean if it wont fit i could always sell it so im not worried about that. thanks in advance.

It'll depend on the dimensions and location of the dealer's butcher job. There were about fifty aftermarket roof holes to pick from in those days, and whether the one the put in yours is a half-inch wider, or an inch too forward or back we just can't tell.

Pull your headliner out, drive to wherever the sunroof is located, hold it up inside the car to see if it is going to mate up physically. Also note that there may be extra bracing inside the roof of a factory sunroof car.

Have you checked to see that your car has the harness connections for everything in the sunroof assembly? They aren't necessary, but would make it that much easier to install if it actually ends up fitting. If no, PM me and I'll send you instructions on how to hardwire it...just did it to mine b/c my black box 'brain' died.

ok i got the sunroof and the brace for the inside and turns out the sunroof is off like 3 inches forward and about an inch too much on the sides so i think im gonna go up to the junk yard and have a roof cut out of a car that had one and then cut mine and weld it back on also got the wiring harness as well

Im wanting to take out my manual sunroof and convert it with the powered moonroof that the avenger has...i know it possible, just need to know what needs done to make it happen, theres a perfect avenger untouched at a local junkyard, and im wanting the moonroof....so what wires would i need to take? which buttons?, like interior wise, is there a motor that i need to get out of the car? I would really love this conversion as it would be very nice to have :pray::pray:

thank you for any info given!!

Corey

You do realize the a sunroof is just a pop up sunroof like 1g's
Power sunroof pops up outside the car then slides back

A moonroof drops in towards the car and goes "Inside" the sheetmetal between the roof and headliner....

Just want to clarify that

But back on topic...Im sure you would need all the wiring and the switch regarding the power sunroof...
But before you attempt any wire cutting trace the wires to where they begin so you have an idea of what needs done....
Then you will need the sunroof and all the hardware ie: sunroof, rails, bolts, motor everything....Installing it will be a bit more complecated than just installing a light or whatever...

ohh thanks for explaining that to me correctly, nobody has ever told me whats what LOL, and yeah just trace wires, to the switches, would i be able to place the switch down on my dash or maybe inside my center console perhaps?? and does anybody know where the motor and everything is on an avenger so i know where to look at and get the removal done quickly as im at the junkyard :)

Is your 'manual' sunroof an aftermarket hinged pup-up? If so, you'll be in for some work b/c I doubt the opening is going to be the same size as the powered roof. Factory sunroof cars also have a lip formed around the inside of the opening, which will be difficult to duplicate. You'll need to pull your headliner to see if you have the factory bracing for it to bolt to as well. Do this before you get too excited about it, cause it may take a LOT of work to get it in. Go to the 'yard and do the same with the Avenger, too, and take pictures and measurements to compare to your car before you jump in with both feet.

If it is doable, chances are that the motor, switch, 'brain', etc., are all attached to the sunroof assembly. I think I read that Avenger's use the same sunroof assembly that 2g DSM's use, and if so, then everything is attached. I've had mine in and out a lot for repairs, and it's pretty easy to get out. Grab the headliner from the Avenger too, as it will be molded to fit the assembly, and you can probably make it work in your car. You'll need to find a power and a ground at the very least to get it to work, and it can be hardwired to exclude the black box 'brain' if you get that far with the project, since they tend to be problematic.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back