The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Auto Harness with a M/T - Need help wiring up reverse lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinscho

Proven Member
Jun 16, 2017
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Get the important bits out of the way now: Finishing up my 4G64 to 4G63t swap and due to lack of availability I had to settle for an auto engine harness (4G64 setup was a M/T, as is the new setup).

I've been researching this for a few hours now and finding all sorts of conflicting information on how to finish up the wiring so everything functions. The starter relay was pretty self explanatory, take the two big black wires from the middle row on the A/T plug and jump them together. Done.

The reverse lights are another issue entirely, with all sorts of conflicting information.

Threads like this one state that it's as simple as splicing into two wires on the A/T harness and plugging it in: Have completed an auto>manual swap on my 97 FWD Tsi

Other threads, including this one from a tech article state that you need to do some pretty extensive wiring into the blue connector behind the radio: 2G: Reverse Lights with an Auto Harness in a 5-spd car.

My head hurts at this point, anyone able to chime in and give me a hand with this? Ideally confirming the first posts accuracy in a simple "cut and splice two wires from the A/T plug"... :idontknow:

Well, I've done some more digging and I think I have it figured out? Maybe?

Based on the electrical manual; it looks like I need to take the Black/White stripe wire from pin 6 on the A/T harness connector A-101, and the Red/Blue stripe wire from Pin 5. These will get swapped over to Pins 2 and 1 respectively on the M/T pigtail for connector A-84 from my old harness.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Am I reading this right? Based on the diagram it looks like those are the pins that were being wired up separately in the tech article I linked up above with the Black/White wire leading back to Pin 21 on B-63 (the connector behind the radio), and the Red/Blue wire leading to Pin 22 on that same connector.

The only reason I'm second guessing this is because the write-ups I found regarding the Park/Neutral position switch required a jumper between pins 5 and 8 on connector A-101 in order to allow the starter to engage. Am I cutting the wires from pins 5,6, and 8.. soldering the wires from pins 5 and 8 together onto pin 1 of A-84, and then putting pin 6 onto pin 2??:confused:

Did I mention I hate wiring? :banghead:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back