1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

420A 2G 1996 420a - New ECU = New VIN?

Posted by ClangClangBoom, Jul 5, 2019

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. ClangClangBoom

ClangClangBoom Probationary Member

Joined Jul 5, 2019
    Opelika, Alabama
    I have a 1996 Eclipse with the 420a, basically stock engine. I'm looking to get a new ECU as I think that will solve some problems I have (no power at ignition coil, ASD relay doesn't click on). My question is this: if I get a new ECU on eBay of a matching part number, does it need to be reprogrammed to have my cars VIN number in it to work? Information on eBay listings has me believing this, but I couldn't find any information on DSMtuners.

Attached is the only photo I have on my phone of the ECU.

Thanks in advance. And yes, I am VERY new still to working on cars, so be gentle with your advice.

Attached Files:

Showcar Build 103  1

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    You do not have to program the VIN to the ECU. But you will need one from the same year, there was some pinout changes depending on the year. So be careful about that

3. ClangClangBoom

Joined Jul 5, 2019
    Opelika, Alabama
    Excellent! Thank you. Yeah I actually also bought a 98 Eclipse this past weekend. The guy said it was a 96 so I was hoping to use it for a parts car, but it's a 98. We were already there and had a car trailer, so I just said f*ck it, he only wanted $300 for the whole car.

But yeah, upon getting home I began to research and realized the ECU on the 98 isn't plug and play. I'm aiming for two running 2g's, so it worked out.

Showcar Build 103  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    i attached the pinouts for 96 and 98 in case you wanna swap pins to use the 98 ecu on your 96

looks best when viewed with notepad ++
    you can download it here

Attached Files:

5. ClangClangBoom

Joined Jul 5, 2019
    Opelika, Alabama
    Thank you for these. I'm considering doing this, just to see if that will get the 96 to crank. Then I will know it is the ECU that is bad. I was having trouble finding 96 pinouts, and it being a 420a doesn't make it any easier.

So far this community has been fantastic. Hopefully I will gain some knowledge and can help return the favor in the future.

Showcar Build 103  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM